i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Nation's First 100G Open, Nationwide, Software-Defined Network Launches for Education, Research, Industry and Innovators

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Nation's First 100G Open, Nationwide, Software-Defined Network Launches for Education, Research, Industry and Innovators
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 23:28:21 -0400 (EDT)

Nation's First 100G Open, Nationwide, Software-Defined Network Launches for
Education, Research, Industry and Innovators

Internet2's new network, 29 NET+ cloud services, and U.S. UCAN project
address research,
big data science, and innovation

Philadelphia—-Oct. 1, 2012—-The nation's first 100G open, national-scale,
software-defined network—built to support advanced services and cloud
applications—is now available to spur new waves of innovation in education,
research and industry.

Internet2, operator of the nation's fastest, coast-to-coast research and
education network, announced today at the Fall 2012 Internet2 Member Meeting
in Philadelphia that their new 100G-enabled and 8.8 Terabit per second
optical network is operational for member institutions.

"We are excited about officially launching the new capabilities of the
nation's first 100G open, national-scale, software-defined network through
massive collaboration with our partners in government and business that will
be used by Internet2 members to help solve practical, far-reaching problems
that benefit society," said Internet2 CEO and President H. David Lambert. "We
look forward to seeing the collaboration of our community using this dynamic
network to advance education, transform university business models, and
accelerate global Big Data collaborative research outcomes. When we equip the
research and education community with great technology and no barriers to
innovation, that's when they start creating the future."

The new capabilities now available on the Internet2 Network include:

An upgraded Advanced Layer 3 Service, that will provide extraordinary
broadband capabilities for science, medicine and education not only to the
higher education community, but also to hundreds of thousands of community
anchor institutions through partnerships with regional networks and
Internet2's United States Unified Community Anchor Network (U.S. UCAN)
project.

A nationwide 100Gbps Software Defined Network offering both production
services like the Layer-2 Open Science, Scholarship and Service Exchange
built in partnership with Indiana University and support of new network
innovations through software defined networking support.

Over 8.8 Tbps of optical network capacity through 88, 100 Gbps-waves that are
delivered in a unique partnership, between Internet2 and the Department of
Energy's Energy Sciences Network (ESnet) that will share this capacity and
operations of the infrastructure to advance national programs.

Internet2's members also can leverage the new Internet2 Network to deliver
Internet2 NET+ Services and keep pace with the exponential growth in Big Data
science being driven by the nation's collaborative researchers in labs and
universities.Internet2 NET+ Services currently offers 29 cloud services to
college campuses nationwide that are cost-effective, easy to access, simple
to administer, and tailored to the unique needs of the research and education
community. The new network and cloud services enable transformational new
solutions for education delivery and provide better-yielding solutions for
university business functions—helping higher education institutions remain
competitive nationally and globally.

Working with its regional network partners, Internet2's U.S. UCAN project
will utilize the newly upgraded 100G-enabled Internet2 Network to allow
advanced networking features for more than 200,000 of the country's community
anchor institutions, including libraries, hospitals, K-12 schools, community
colleges, and public safety organizations. The network infrastructure will
support advanced applications, such as HD and multi-cast video distance
learning and telemedicine. The upgraded network was predominately funded
through the U.S. Department of Commerce's Broadband Technology Opportunities
Program.

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the
nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a
collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to
solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in
support of their educational, research, and community service missions. For
more information, visit www.internet2.edu.

Media contact: Todd Sedmak, (202) 331-5373 or
.

Todd Sedmak
Internet2
PR and Media Relations Manager
202-331-5373 (w) or

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.internet2.edu/facebook

  • [I2-NEWS] Nation's First 100G Open, Nationwide, Software-Defined Network Launches for Education, Research, Industry and Innovators, Todd Sedmak, 10/01/2012