i2-news - [I2-NEWS] CERNET, Indiana University and Internet2 Showcase New 10G Internet Link Between China and the United States

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] CERNET, Indiana University and Internet2 Showcase New 10G Internet Link Between China and the United States

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] CERNET, Indiana University and Internet2 Showcase New 10G Internet Link Between China and the United States
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 08:40:00 -0400 (EDT)

CERNET, Indiana University and Internet2 Showcase New 10G Internet Link
Between China and the United States

Genomics data transfer, global video service, live performing arts, and
real-time traffic flow demonstrations showcase value of ultrafast networking

Ann Arbor, Mich.—(July 2, 2012)– Leaders from the China Education and
Research Network (CERNET), Indiana University, Internet2 and the Chinese
government met Thursday, June 21, at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China to
demonstrate unique applications now possible over a new10G Internet link
between the education and research networks of the United States and China.

The event showcased four user demonstrations including a real-time large data
transfer of genomics data; a live dance master class over HD video; a live,
global tele-surgery; and a real-time, end-to-end performance monitoring
display. Indiana University, University of Michigan, University of Chicago,
Duke University, New York University, University of California-Davis, and
University of California-Los Angeles, the National Institutes of Health and
The Paul Taylor Dance Company hosted the demonstrations.

For more than 10 years, partners in China and the United States have worked
together on a range of efforts to support research and education networking
for scientific collaboration. CERNET implemented the network and
cyberinfrastructure within China, with financial support from the Chinese
government. The new 10Gb link between Los Angeles and Beijing that made this
event possible became operational in November 2011.

“The most important objective of the China-US 10G connection is to support
China-US collaborations in Internet technology, education, and science over
the next generation Internet,” said Professor and Director of CERNET Center
Jianping Wu. “For example, at this event, BGI, America’s National Center for
Biotechnology Information, and the UC Davis Genome Center successfully
demonstrated the real-time transfer, “big genome data” between China and the
US in 30 seconds rather than the current 24 hours, by using IPv6 technology.
This demonstration shows us the brilliant future of big science collaboration
between China and the U.S.”

“With the launch and successful demonstration of the new 10GB link, the
research and education communities in both China and the United States are
now well-positioned to meet the demands of the global research community,”
said H. David Lambert, president and chief executive officer, Internet2.
“Internet2 strongly believes that increased global collaboration is a key to
our long-term success, and we reaffirm our continued support of collaborative
scientific research between the United States and China.”

“Since 2000, CERNET has had a very close relationship with Internet2 and the
US research and education community. This 10G connection between China and
the US will certainly provide great support to an even closer relationship
between the Chinese and US educational and research communities,” said Zhaozi
Lei, the deputy director of the Science and Technology Division at the
Chinese Ministry of Education.

There are plans to further leverage the 10gb link to promote future
collaborations and confront future challenges. “This celebration is
well-earned. This link is operational because of the long, hard efforts on
the part of network engineers and administrators in the US and in China,”
said James Williams, director of international networking at the Indiana
University. “Now to give this network value, we have to facilitate and
encourage current US-China research and education collaborations and we must
carefully plan for future broader and more intense collaborations. The
challenge I throw out to scientists and educators: How would 10x, 100x or
1000x the network connectivity between China and the US change collaborative
research? The answer to this question will drive the future of US-China
research and education networking.”

Todd Sedmak
Internet2
PR and Media Relations Manager
202-331-5373 (w), 804-497-0282 (c) or

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.internet2.edu/facebook

  • [I2-NEWS] CERNET, Indiana University and Internet2 Showcase New 10G Internet Link Between China and the United States, Todd Sedmak, 07/03/2012