i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Statement Regarding Launch of US Ignite

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 Statement Regarding Launch of US Ignite

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Statement Regarding Launch of US Ignite
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:15:04 -0400 (EDT)

Internet2 Statement Regarding Launch of US Ignite

Ann Arbor, Mich.—(June 14, 2012)--Internet2 released today the following
statement regarding the official launch of US Ignite by the White House
Office of Science & Technology Policy.

“Internet2’s and US Ignite’s missions fit well with each other, especially
our mutual interest in strengthening the nation’s position as a global leader
in research, education and innovation,” said Internet2 CEO and President H.
David Lambert. “We value working with US Ignite to share our expertise in
software-defined networking, the National Science Foundation’s GENI project,
broadband needs of public and community anchor institutions, and advanced
applications and services for ultra-fast networks.”

Internet2 plans to leverage its networking and technology expertise as a
member of U.S. Ignite, engaging in advisory committees on a range of issues
affecting next-generation networks and applications. In addition, US Ignite
will become a member of Internet2.

The national high-performance Internet2 Network connects America’s colleges
and universities to research and education collaborators worldwide. The newly
upgraded 100G-enabled and 8.8 Terabit per second optical network will allow
Internet2 member institutions to keep pace with the exponential growth in
“Big Data” scientific research being driven by the nation’s collaborative
researchers in labs and universities.

The network will also enable advanced networking features for more than
200,000 of the country’s essential community anchor institutions, including
libraries, hospitals, K-12 schools, community colleges and public safety
organizations as part of Internet2’s United States Unified Community Anchor
Network (U.S. UCAN) project. The National Telecommunications and Information
Administration’s (NTIA) Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP)
helped fund Internet2’s network upgrade and U.S. UCAN project.

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the
nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a
collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to
solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in
support of their educational, research, and community service missions. For
more information, visit www.internet2.edu.

For media assistance, contact Todd Sedmak at 202-331-5373 or
.

###

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.internet2.edu/facebook

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Statement Regarding Launch of US Ignite, Todd Sedmak, 06/14/2012