i2-news - [I2-NEWS] InCommon Certificate Service Reaches 100 Subscribers

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] InCommon Certificate Service Reaches 100 Subscribers

  • From: Dean Woodbeck <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] InCommon Certificate Service Reaches 100 Subscribers
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 16:08:24 -0400

InCommon Certificate Service Reaches 100 Subscribers

ANN ARBOR, Mich -  April 7, 2011 – The InCommon Certificate Service, launched in August 2010, has reached 100 subscribers.

InCommon, operated by Internet2, provides trust services for the U.S. education and research communities which today includes an identity management Federation Service and a Certificate Service

The InCommon Certificate service provides the U.S. higher education community with unlimited SSL, client and code signing digital certificates at one fixed annual fee. An institution can acquire unlimited certificates for all of its domains, including those hosted for professional societies, athletics, or other campus-based organizations.

“We have seen a tremendous uptake in the InCommon Certificate Service, as our community recognizes both the value and the tremendous cost savings that it provides,” said Jack Suess, chair of the InCommon Steering Committee and vice president and chief information officer at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.

Conceived and governed by IT leaders in higher education, the InCommon Certificate Service provides a cost-effective means of deploying and operating a more secure and authenticated online environment. In addition to the already low fee, Internet2 members receive a 25 percent discount. Details are available at www.incommon.org/cert.

InCommon is offering this service through a partnership with Comodo CA Ltd., a major certification authority and Internet2 industry member. So far, the service has issued 7,653 certificates to its subscribers.

Any higher education institution with its primary location in the U.S is eligible for the program. Institutions must also participate in or join InCommon to take advantage of the certificate service.

InCommon also operates the InCommon Federation, which provides a scalable, secure and privacy-protecting method for giving individuals access to protected or licensed online resources, such as library databases, multimedia content, research information, and services provided by government agencies.

----------
ABOUT InCOMMON
InCommon serves the U.S. education and research communities, supporting a common framework of trust services and operating the InCommon Federation, the U.S. trust federation for research and education, and the community-driven InCommon
Certificate Service. The InCommon Federation enables scalable, trusted collaborations among its community of participants. Identity Providers give their users single sign-on convenience and privacy protection, while Service Providers control access to their protected resources. For more information, see www.incommon.org.

ABOUT INTERNET2
Internet2 is an advanced networking consortium led by the research and education community. An exceptional partnership spanning U.S. and international institutions who are leaders in the worlds of research, academia, industry and government, Internet2 is developing breakthrough cyberinfrastructure technologies that support the most exacting applications of today—and spark the most essential innovations of tomorrow. Led by its members and focused on their current and future networking needs since 1996, Internet2 blends its human, IP and optical networks to develop and deploy revolutionary Internet technologies.  For more information see www.internet2.edu.

Media Contact:

Ryan Bass
+1-202-331-5345

  • [I2-NEWS] InCommon Certificate Service Reaches 100 Subscribers, Dean Woodbeck, 04/07/2011