i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names Mark Johnson as U.S. UCAN Interim Executive Director

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names Mark Johnson as U.S. UCAN Interim Executive Director

  • From: Lauren Rotman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names Mark Johnson as U.S. UCAN Interim Executive Director
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:17:26 -0500

Internet2 Names Mark Johnson as U.S. UCAN Interim Executive Director

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - January 31, 2011 – Internet2 today announced the
appointment of Mark Johnson as Interim Executive Director of the United
States Unified Community Anchor Network (U.S. UCAN) project effective
immediately.

Johnson brings over 25 years of leadership experience in the management,
engineering, and operations of Internet technologies and will serve as the
first Executive Director of U.S. UCAN – a new project intended to help
connect the 200,000 U.S. community anchor institutions like public libraries,
schools, community colleges, research parks, public safety and health care
institutions across the country to next-generation Internet-based
applications.

The U.S. UCAN project will provide these services through the Internet2
Network, which recently received over $62 million in stimulus funding from
the National Telecommunications and Information Administration’s Broadband
Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP) to significantly upgrade its national
network for this purpose.

Johnson is on short-term assignment from his role as Chief Technology Officer
and Vice President for Operations and Infrastructure at MCNC – the regional
research and education network serving the State of North Carolina‘s K-20
Public and Private Education Institutions. MCNC has received two BTOP awards
that are helping to create a robust middle-mile network throughout rural
North Carolina.

Internet2 president and CEO H. David Lambert said, “Mark’s success in
building advanced networking communities in North Carolina made him the
logical choice to lead our initial efforts in building the coordinating body
necessary to support community anchor institutions nationwide. We are
grateful to our regional partner, MCNC, for enabling Mark to take on this
important opportunity for 2011 for which our entire community will benefit.”

In collaboration with several assigned Internet2 staff, Johnson’s primary
responsibilities will include strategic business planning, community building
and engagement, and development of the necessary outreach programs in support
of deploying a sustainable business model for U.S. UCAN.

“I am honored to take on this role as executive director of U.S. UCAN and
look forward to replicating the success we’ve been fortunate to have in North
Carolina on a national scale. I am confident we have all the right pieces in
place, and I look forward to this opportunity” said Johnson.

Johnson will also work extensively with the newly developed Taskforce on
Community Anchor Network Economic Models – led by Mike Roberts who was the
organizer and first director of Internet2 and one of the founders and the
first executive director of the Internet Society (ISOC). This taskforce was
created with the purpose of developing an economic model(s) that will assist
community anchor institutions and partner regional and national R&E networks
in addressing the programmatic, operational and financial challenges
contained within the federal Broadband Technology Opportunity Program (BTOP).

The search for a permanent U.S. UCAN Executive Director will continue
concurrently to Johnson’s term.

About Internet2
Internet2 is an advanced networking consortium led by the research and
education community. An exceptional partnership spanning U.S. and
international institutions who are leaders in the worlds of research,
academia, industry and government, Internet2 is developing breakthrough
cyberinfrastructure technologies that support the most exacting applications
of today—and spark the most essential innovations of tomorrow.
http://www.internet2.edu.

About MCNC
MCNC is an independent, non-profit organization that employs advanced
Internet networking technologies and systems to continuously improve learning
and collaboration throughout North Carolina's K-20 education community. MCNC
provides advanced communications technologies and support services that
enable access to 21st century learning applications and offers the
opportunity to improve teaching, learning, research and collaboration among
North Carolina’s education community. For a more than a quarter century MCNC
has operated a robust, secure, exclusive communications network that has
connected the institutions of the University of North Carolina System, Duke
University and Wake Forest University to each other and through advanced
research networks such as Internet2 and National Lambda Rail, to the world.
Visit www.mcnc.org.

Media Contact:
Lauren Rotman

202-331-5345

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Names Mark Johnson as U.S. UCAN Interim Executive Director, Lauren Rotman, 01/31/2011