i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 donates bandwidth to support next generation Internet research

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 donates bandwidth to support next generation Internet research

  • From: Lauren Rotman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 donates bandwidth to support next generation Internet research
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 11:29:43 -0500

Internet2 donates bandwidth to support next generation Internet research

ANN ARBOR, Mich., and CAMBRIDGE, Mass., November 30, 2010 — Internet2, the
foremost U.S. advanced networking consortium, and the GENI Project Office
announced today that Internet2 will donate bandwidth on its national backbone
to support GENI subcontractors and the GENI Project Office. The GENI Project
Office is located at Raytheon BBN Technologies in Cambridge, MA . Internet2’s
connections will support the emerging GENI meso-scale prototype, which now
spans over a dozen U.S campuses, with direct connections at ten backbone
locations.

Sponsored by the National Science Foundation, GENI (Global Environment for
Network Innovations) is a virtual laboratory for exploring future internets
at scale, now rapidly taking shape in prototype form across the United
States. It supports experiments on a wide variety of advanced research in
communications, networking, distributed systems, cyber security, networked
services, and applications. GENI facilitates a smooth transition path from
“innovative experiment” to useful service at significant scale. GENI will
enable “at scale” experimentation for controlled and repeatable experiments
to improve scientific understanding of complex, large-scale networks, and for
“in the wild” trials of services that piggyback or connect to today’s
Internet and engage large numbers of participants, along with instrumentation
and data archival/analysis tools for both.

This new “Phase 2” agreement builds on Internet2’s previous network
investment in the GENI community and provides donated network resources
through July 2012. Internet2 will contribute eight 10 gigabits per second and
five one gigabits per second connections across its nationwide network. GENI
subcontractors and developers will be able to access the network at every
Internet2 connection point to enable nationwide collaboration to further
design and development efforts on GENI meso-scale prototypes.

“Internet2 congratulates the GENI community on its successful work thus far
in developing transformative network technologies. As an organization
dedicated to networking and research, we are delighted to continue to support
the GENI community in its pioneering efforts to develop future Internet
architectures. The GENI effort has great potential to transform the Internet
as we know it today which we believe will lead to even greater impacts on
science, education and society,” said chief technology officer, Randy Frank,
Internet2. “This donation builds on Internet2’s significant investments in
the GENI community and by leveraging our production network, helps to set the
stage for even longer term use of Internet2 resources by the GENI community."

“Internet2 is playing a critically important role in advancing NSF’s goals
and the GENI project," said Chip Elliott, project director, GENI Project
Office. “With their broad membership base that includes 300 major research
institutions, their latest contribution will enable GENI researchers to
continue to grow and further develop the GENI-prototype nationwide
infrastructure suite that uniquely supports pioneering research leading to
the next generation Internet.”

About Internet2
Internet2 is the foremost U.S. advanced networking consortium. Led by the
research and education community since 1996, Internet2 promotes the missions
of its members by providing both leading-edge network capabilities and unique
partnership opportunities that together facilitate the development,
deployment and use of revolutionary Internet technologies. Internet2 brings
the U.S. research and academic community together with technology leaders
from industry, government and the international community to undertake
collaborative efforts that have a fundamental impact on tomorrow's Internet.
For more information:http://www.internet2.edu.

About GENI and the GENI Project Office
GENI is envisioned as a national resource for experiments on a wide variety
of advanced research in communications, networking, distributed systems,
cyber security, and networked services and applications. It is sponsored by
the National Science Foundation. GENI will afford the research community the
opportunity to try out novel ideas and clean-slate designs on a large-scale
real-world environment with real user populations. The GENI Project Office,
which is based at Raytheon BBN Technologies, is responsible for project
management and design of the GENI infrastructure. Visit www.geni.net for more
information.

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 donates bandwidth to support next generation Internet research, Lauren Rotman, 11/30/2010