i2-news - [I2-NEWS] InCommon Launches Certificate Service

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] InCommon Launches Certificate Service

  • From: Dean Woodbeck <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] InCommon Launches Certificate Service
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:26:48 -0400

InCommon Launches Certificate Service
Service to Provide Unlimited Certificates for Higher Education Institutions

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - September 13, 2010 – The InCommon Federation has launched
the new InCommon Certificate Service, with 10 campuses and higher education
systems already subscribing.

The new service provides the U.S. higher education community with unlimited
server and personal certificates at one fixed annual fee. An institution can
acquire unlimited certificates for all of its domains, including those hosted
for professional societies, athletics, or other campus-based organizations.

This service, conceived and governed by IT leaders in higher education,
provides a cost-effective means of deploying and operating a more secure and
authenticated online environment. In addition to the already low fee,
Internet2 members receive a 25 percent discount (Internet2 is InCommon's
parent organization). Details are available at www.incommon.org/cert.

According to John Krienke, chief operating officer of InCommon, “This service
is not only cost-effective, it is innovative. We will soon provide unlimited
personal certificates, which will set the stage for campuses to more easily
adopt important services like signed email and second-factor authentication.”

InCommon is offering this service through a partnership with Comodo CA Ltd.,
a major certification authority and Internet2 industry member.

“We’re particularly grateful to the University of California Berkeley for
testing and troubleshooting this program over the last two months,” Krienke
said. “They’ve helped to streamline the process, which will help ensure a
positive experience for the community.”

Any higher education institution with its primary location in the U.S., and
qualifying for an “edu” domain name, is eligible for the program.
Institutions must also participate in or join InCommon to take advantage of
the Cert Service.

More information is available at www.incommon.org/cert or by emailing
.

CERT SERVICE SUBSCRIBERS

University of Alaska
California Institute of Technology
Carleton College
University of California Berkeley
Indiana University
Iowa State University
University of Minnesota
Penn State University
University of Virginia
University of Texas System (includes nine campuses and six health science
centers)

ABOUT InCOMMON
InCommon facilitates collaboration through the sharing of protected
network-accessible resources by means of an agreed-upon community trust
fabric. The InCommon Federation, operated by Internet2, provides a
privacy-preserving, secure method for higher education institutions and their
partners to offer single sign-on convenience and standards-based security to
their faculty, researchers, students and staff. Through InCommon, individuals
no longer need to maintain multiple passwords and usernames and online
service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. The educational
institution manages the level of privacy and security for its constituents.
For more information, see www.incommon.org.

ABOUT INTERNET2
Internet2 is an advanced networking consortium led by the research and
education community. An exceptional partnership spanning U.S. and
international institutions who are leaders in the worlds of research,
academia, industry and government, Internet2 is developing breakthrough
cyberinfrastructure technologies that support the most exacting applications
of today—and spark the most essential innovations of tomorrow. Led by its
members and focused on their current and future networking needs since 1996,
Internet2 blends its human, IP and optical networks to develop and deploy
revolutionary Internet technologies. For more information see
www.internet2.edu.

Media Contact:

Lauren Rotman

+1-202-331-5345

  • [I2-NEWS] InCommon Launches Certificate Service, Dean Woodbeck, 09/13/2010