i2-news - Randy Frank Named New Internet2 Chief Technology Officer

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

Randy Frank Named New Internet2 Chief Technology Officer

  • From: Lauren Rotman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Randy Frank Named New Internet2 Chief Technology Officer
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:34:41 -0400

Randy Frank Named New Internet2 Chief Technology Officer

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – June 19, 2009 – Internet2 today announced that Randall (Randy) Frank will join its staff as Chief Technology Officer (CTO). In this role, Randy will help set and manage the overall direction of advanced technology plans for Internet2, including the identification and development of emerging technologies in areas like high-performance hybrid networking, end-to-end performance, network security, and middleware. As CTO, Randy will play a key role in facilitating the development and deployment of these technologies – all of which are critical to supporting an advanced cyberinfrastructure – in collaboration with Internet2’s governance councils, its partners at regional research and education networks, and its broad membership.

“We are delighted that Randy will become a key member of the Internet2 management team. His deep experience – in both industry and academia - will serve as an incredible asset to our community as we continue to focus on delivering state of the art capabilities for our members,” said Doug Van Houweling, Internet2 president and CEO. “Our community has traditionally demonstrated global leadership as early adopters of leading edge technologies. Randy’s vision, experience, and collaborative style will be critical to carrying this important tradition forward.”

Randy joins Internet2 from the Fidelity Investments Center for Applied Technology, where he served as the chief technologist for its research and development center. In that role, Randy developed initial pilots and implemented projects in Voice over IP, wireless LANs, real time media, thin client architectures, network and e-mail security, and next generation data centers to support Fidelity's customers, agents and employees globally.

Prior to Fidelity, Randy served as the Executive Director of Information Technology for the University of Michigan’s College of Engineering, where he was responsible for both the Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN) and Center for Parallel Computing (CPC), the primary campus facility for high performance computing. Randy has also served as the Director of the University of Utah Research Computing Facility and was the university’s first Director of Campus Networking. Randy is noted as the Founding Director of the Media Union (now the Duderstadt Center), and served as Project Director for the University of Michigan JSTOR Project, among many other accomplishments.

“Internet2 plays an enormous role in keeping the academic and research community at the forefront of networking technology,” said Frank. “I am excited to join this organization in a capacity where I can contribute to the advancement of the innovative services that today support research and education, and tomorrow will help support our broader society.”

"Randy Frank joins with a very strong understanding of the research and education mission of Internet2's academic members. This background -- along with his excellent corporate IT experience -- position him well to help lead the Internet2 community as CTO," said Brad Wheeler, Indiana University vice president for information technology and member of the executive search committee which supported the CTO selection process.

Randy’s appointment will begin in late June 2009 and he will be based at the Internet2 headquarters in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Randy succeeds Rick Summerhill, who will retire this month. Rick joined Internet2 in 2003 and has served as Internet2’s CTO since 2007.

About Internet2(R)
Internet2 is the foremost U.S. advanced networking consortium. Led by the research and education community since 1996, Internet2 promotes the missions of its members by providing both leading-edge network capabilities and unique partnership opportunities that together facilitate the development, deployment and use of revolutionary Internet technologies. Internet2 brings the U.S. research and academic community together with technology leaders from industry, government and the international community to undertake collaborative efforts that have a fundamental impact on tomorrow's Internet.

For more information: http://www.internet2.edu

MEDIA CONTACT:

Lauren Rotman

Internet2

  • Randy Frank Named New Internet2 Chief Technology Officer, Lauren Rotman, 06/19/2009