i2-news - Internet2 Announces Board and Council Election Results

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

Internet2 Announces Board and Council Election Results

  • From: Lauren Rotman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Internet2 Announces Board and Council Election Results
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:43:35 -0400

Internet2 Announces Board and Council Election Results
University, Research, and Industry Leaders to Provide Guidance for U.S. Research and Education Consortium

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – March 13, 2009 - Internet2 has announced the results of its 2009 Board of Trustees and Advisory Council elections. Representing leaders from academia, research, and industry, Internet2’s Board and Advisory Councils provide strategic guidance, direct the setting of priorities, and ensure that Internet2 continues to meet the needs of the research and education community.

"We extend our congratulations to these new Board and Council Members. We are very grateful to all the candidates for their willingness to stand for election and their demonstrated commitment to the Internet2 community,” said David Lassner, chair of the Internet2 Governance & Nominations Committee and vice president for Information Technology and CIO of the University of Hawaii. “We are also grateful to the community for taking the time to nominate candidates and to cast their votes. Internet2 member participation is an essential part of making our governance structure function well and reflect the needs and priorities of the communities we serve.”

Eligible voters included all executive representatives from member institutions that are classified as members in good standing. University Presidents or Chancellors cast the institutional votes for their colleagues elected to serve on the board. The new board will take office on May 1, 2009 and councils will take office on April 27, 2009.

New Board and Advisory Council members:

Board of Trustees
Mary Sue Coleman (University of Michigan)*
William (Brit) Kirwan (University System of Maryland)
Michael McRobbie (Indiana University)
Steve Wolff (Cisco)

Applications, Middleware & Services Advisory Council (AMSAC)
CIO Representative: Jack Suess (University of Maryland, Baltimore County)*
Shelton Waggener (University of California, Berkeley)
Regional Representative: Mark Johnson (MCNC)*
Research Representative: Noshir Contractor (Northwestern University)
Industry Representative: Bob Collie (ENA)
Industry Representative: Michael Nelson (IBM/Georgetown)*
Board Appointed: Randy Stout (Internet2 K-20 Initiative)

Architecture & Operations Advisory Council (AOAC)
CIO Representative: David Gift (Michigan State University)
Regional Representative: David Jent (Indiana GigaPoP)*
Research Representative: Roy Campbell (University of Illinois)
Industry Representative: Brian Savory (ADVA Optical Networking)
Board Appointed: Paul Schopis (OARNet)*

External Relations Advisory Council (ERAC)
CIO Representative: James Williams (Indiana University Global Network Operations Center)
Regional Representative: Donald Welch (Merit, Inc.)
Research Representative: George Thoma (NIH)*
Industry Representative: John Evans (Evans Telecommunications)*
Board Appointed: Mark Luker (EDUCAUSE)*

Research Advisory Council (RAC)
CIO Representative: John Kolb (Rensselear Polytechnic Institute)
Regional Representative: Dave Pokorney (FLR)
Research Representative: David Farber (Carnegie Mellon)*
Industry Representative: Ananda Rajagopal (Brocade)
Board Appointed: Prem Paul (University of Nebraska)*

* Re-elected or re-appointed member

For more information, visit: www.internet2.edu/elections

About Internet2
Internet2 is the foremost U.S. advanced networking consortium. Led by the research and education community since 1996, Internet2 promotes the missions of its members by providing both leading-edge network capabilities and unique partnership opportunities that together facilitate the development, deployment and use of revolutionary Internet technologies. Internet2 brings the U.S. research and academic community together with technology leaders from industry, government and the international community to undertake collaborative efforts that have a fundamental impact on tomorrow's Internet. For more information: http://www.internet2.edu

MEDIA CONTACT:
Lauren Rotman
Internet2

  • Internet2 Announces Board and Council Election Results, Lauren Rotman, 03/13/2009