i2-news - Internet2 to Provide Dedicated 10 Gbps to GENI Effort

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

Internet2 to Provide Dedicated 10 Gbps to GENI Effort

  • From: "Lauren Rotman" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Internet2 to Provide Dedicated 10 Gbps to GENI Effort
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:24:55 -0400

Internet2 to Provide Dedicated 10 Gbps to GENI Effort

ANN ARBOR, Mich. and CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - July 30, 2008 - Internet2, the
foremost U.S. advanced networking consortium, and BBN Technologies (BBN)
announced today that Internet2 will donate dedicated bandwidth on its
national backbone to support the GENI Project Office (GPO), located at BBN,
and its subcontractors as they build and test prototypes of the GENI system.

GENI is envisioned as a national data communications laboratory, supporting
experiments on a wide variety of advanced research in communications,
networking, distributed systems, cyber-security, networked services and
applications. It is sponsored by the National Science Foundation.

Through support from its Board of Trustees, Internet2 will contribute a 10
Gigabits per second (Gbps) dedicated circuit throughout its entire
nationwide network. GENI subcontractors and developers will be able to
access the circuit at every connection point on the network to enable
nationwide collaboration on GENI prototypes. BBN is currently negotiating
with potential subcontractors who responded to the GPO's solicitation
earlier this year and expects to announce the subcontracts shortly.

Last year, Internet2 completed a major overhaul of its network capabilities
as well as increased its capacity by tenfold to 100 Gbps. This advanced
infrastructure is now capable of providing production network services as
well as dedicated circuits that equip researchers, like those participating
in GENI, with the breakable facilities they need to test their new
networking ideas and concepts.

Douglas Van Houweling, president and CEO, Internet2, said, "Our community is
committed to supporting network research efforts. We believe GENI will play
an absolutely critical role in pioneering future generations of the Internet
and we are delighted that our network will be a key component in enabling
this most important work. Our contribution to GENI reflects our strategic
goal of leveraging our new infrastructure to support the most cutting edge
research done by many of our members, both in creating the GENI platform now
and using GENI for research in the future."

Chip Elliott, project director, GENI Project Office, observed, "Internet2
connects over 300 major research institutions, many of whom are contributing
to the engineering of GENI and nearly all of whom will, we expect, be using
GENI once it is constructed. Internet2's significant contribution to the
GENI engineering effort ensures that its members can contribute their best
to GENI, and we're most grateful to Internet2 for its generosity and
foresight."

About Internet2
Internet2 is the foremost U.S. advanced networking consortium. Led by the
research and education community since 1996, Internet2 promotes the missions
of its members by providing both leading-edge network capabilities and
unique partnership opportunities that together facilitate the development,
deployment and use of revolutionary Internet technologies. Internet2 brings
the U.S. research and academic community together with technology leaders
from industry, government and the international community to undertake
collaborative efforts that have a fundamental impact on tomorrow's Internet.
For more information: http://www.internet2.edu

About GENI and the GENI Project Office
GENI, the Global Environment for Network Innovations, is envisioned as a
national resource for experiments on a wide variety of advanced research in
communications, networking, distributed systems, cyber-security, and
networked services and applications. It is sponsored by the National Science
Foundation. GENI will afford the research community the opportunity to try
out novel ideas and clean-slate designs on a large-scale real-world
environment with real user populations. The GENI Project Office, which is
based at BBN Technologies, is responsible for project management and design
of the GENI facility. Visit www.geni.net for more information.

About BBN Technologies
BBN Technologies is a legendary R&D organization that leverages its
substantial intellectual property portfolio to produce advanced, repeatable
solutions such as the Boomerang shooter detection system. With expertise
spanning information security, speech and language processing, networking,
distributed systems, and sensing and control systems, BBN scientists and
engineers have amassed a substantial collection of innovations and patented
solutions. BBN now employs over 700 people in seven locations in the US:
Cambridge, Massachusetts (headquarters); Arlington, Virginia; Columbia,
Maryland; Middletown, Rhode Island; San Diego, California; St. Louis Park,
Minnesota; and O'Fallon, Illinois. For more information, visit www.bbn.com

Media Contacts:
Joyce Kuzmin
BBN Technologies
617.873.8193

Lauren Rotman
Internet2
202.331.5345

  • Internet2 to Provide Dedicated 10 Gbps to GENI Effort, Lauren Rotman, 07/30/2008