i2-news - National Leaders and Research Partners Gather at Clemson University

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

National Leaders and Research Partners Gather at Clemson University

  • From: "Timothy Bowen" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: National Leaders and Research Partners Gather at Clemson University
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 09:04:27 -0400

CLEMSON, SC - A national conference on cyberinfrastructure (CI) comes to
Clemson.

CI Days at Clemson University will take place May 19-21 at the Madren
Conference Center and will bring Clemson faculty, staff and students together
with national experts to raise awareness about cyberinfrastructure and spark
collaboration across disciplines. Nearly 340 attendees are registered and
include Clemson faculty, graduate students and IT staff as well as colleagues
from over a dozen other SC universities and research centers.

"This important meeting will help faculty understand how recent improvements
in our capabilities for high performance computing can impact and support
scholarship, teaching, research and outreach across the disciplines," said
Clemson President James F. Barker.

CI Days is part of a national forum designed to explore innovative ways to
integrate information technology into teaching, research and outreach
programs. The Clemson conference is co-sponsored by several Clemson
University mission VPs and a number of key corporate partners including Dell,
Apple, SUN and Cisco. The effort also is supported by a national
collaboration of computing and networking agencies including:
* Coalition for Networked Information (CNI)
* National Science Foundation (NSF)
* Department of Energy (DOE)
* Southeastern Universities Research Association (SURA)
* National LambdaRail (NLR)
* EDUCAUSE
* Internet2
* TeraGrid
* Open Science Grid (OSG)
* Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI)
* International Research Network Connections (IRNC)
Mark Lundstrom will deliver the keynote address "Adventures in
Cyberinfrastructure: Observations of an Accidental Tourist" at 9:45 a.m. on
Tuesday, May 20. Lundstrom is the Scifres Distinguished Professor of
Electrical and Computer Engineering at Purdue University and Director of the
National Science Foundation's Network for Computational Nanotechnology.

"This is a unique opportunity for our faculty, graduate students and IT staff
to share needs, ideas and projects with national and regional providers of CI
resources and services to build working alliances that meet our educational
needs and promote our collective missions," said James Bottum, vice provost
and chief information officer at Clemson.

Visit http://cidays.clemson.edu for:

* A live online feed to the conference sessions;
* A link to conference photos;
* More information on cyberinfrastructure and this conference; and
* A schedule of events.

Information on the national CI Days effort is available at www.cidays.org.

CONTACTS:
Jim Bottum, (864) 656-8100
Email:

Barbara Weaver, (864) 650-8238
Email:

WRITER:
Tim Bowen (864) 656-2800 or (864) 650-3370
Email:

  • National Leaders and Research Partners Gather at Clemson University, Timothy Bowen, 05/20/2008