i2-news - MOREnet Provides Internet2 Network Connection for MCEC National Conference in Kansas City

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

MOREnet Provides Internet2 Network Connection for MCEC National Conference in Kansas City

  • From: "Gill, Megan L." <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: MOREnet Provides Internet2 Network Connection for MCEC National Conference in Kansas City
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:12:33 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Megan Gill

(573) 882-0054

MOREnet Provides Internet2 Network Connection for MCEC National Conference in Kansas City

July 11, 2007 – Kansas City, Mo.  The Missouri Research & Education Network (MOREnet) is partnered with the Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) to provide access to the Internet2 Network for a videoconference address to attendees at its national conference in Kansas City on Thursday, July 12. The Internet2 Network connection will enable super high quality video and audio to be delivered to the attendees at the Westin Crown Center from the speaker, Dr. Martin Seligman, live from the University of Pennsylvania.

Dr. Seligman will address the Thursday general session at the MCEC conference via videoconference to share his message about positive psychology. Dr. Larry Moehnke, Chief of Staff for MCEC, says this message is very important for their audience to hear. The address will reach approximately 700 people, a group comprised of military families and educators dedicated to the transition and education issues of military and mobile children.

The videoconference is being connected to the Internet2 Network so that the quality of the conference can be maintained on both ends. “The University of Pennsylvania, where the video will originate, has an Internet2 Network connection, so we needed one on this end to ensure the quality of service for such an important address,” explained John Korba of Azbell Electronics, who is managing the videoconference for MCEC. “For the speaker and the slides, we need a lot of bandwidth and we can’t afford to have any drops.”

To enable the Internet2 Network connection in Kansas City, MCEC turned to MOREnet. “MOREnet provides access to Internet2 for our members, so it was a natural to extend the connection at UMKC to the Westin to enable this videoconference for MCEC,” said Bill Giddings, Director of Education and Library Programs at MOREnet. “We’re proud to help the conference deliver such an important address to their attendees, even from so far away.”

For more information about the connection to Internet2, please contact Megan Gill at or 573-882-0054. To find out more about MCEC and their annual conference, please visit  www.militarychild.org.

About MOREnet

MOREnet links Missouri to a world of knowledge through a statewide research and education network. Schools, public libraries, academic institutions and state agencies linked to the network have access to a secure broadband Internet connection, staff training, technical support and electronic resources, making equitable access possible across Missouri.

Megan L Gill

Marketing & Communications Manager

Missouri Research & Education Network (MOREnet)

573.882.0054

  • MOREnet Provides Internet2 Network Connection for MCEC National Conference in Kansas City, Gill, Megan L., 07/12/2007