i2-news - OpVista Joins Internet2

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

OpVista Joins Internet2

  • From: "Lauren Rotman" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: OpVista Joins Internet2
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:40:55 -0400

OpVista Joins Internet2

OpVista to collaborate with members of Internet R&E consortium on high
spectral efficiency GbE, 10GbE DWDM transport and ROADM applications

Milpitas, CA, May 14, 2007 -- OpVista today announced that the company has
joined Internet2, an advanced networking consortium led by the research and
education community. OpVista joins a pre-eminent group of, service
providers, other networking technology companies, and Internet2's university
and government members to develop the most cutting-edge networking
technologies.

"Whether it be the development of advanced applications for tele-health and
telemedicine services, a high capacity network enhancing the work of radio
astronomers or bringing the paintings of The Metropolitan Museum of Art to
students in Alaska through video-conferencing - advanced optical transport
technologies are essential to the fulfillment of the Internet2 community's
objectives," said Rick Summerhill, Internet2 Director of Network Research,
Architecture, and Technology. "As a leading player in the DWDM transport
market, we look forward to OpVista's active participation and collaboration
within the Internet2 community, especially in important projects like the
control plane developments within our Hybrid Optical and Packet
Infrastructure [HOPI] initiative."

Motivated by extreme applications that demand performance at the limits of
today's commercial networks, the Internet2 community initiated the HOPI
project to leverage advances in optical networking technologies in the
context of revolutionary network architectures. HOPI provides Internet2
members like OpVista and international collaborators with a test bed to
analyze and experiment with new optical protocols and paradigms.

"OpVista's membership in Internet2 results from our success in helping cable
and telecom service providers develop their optical transport infrastructure
for bandwidth-intensive converged services. We look forward to sharing our
valuable experience with our Internet2 colleagues in the areas of upgrading
network capacity via existing fiber infrastructure and improving spectral
efficiency. And in turn, we believe that our experience and collaboration
with the Internet2 community will help us to test out the most leading-edge
optical capabilities in ways not possible on the commercial Internet today,"
said Winston Way, Chief Technology Officer, OpVista.

About OpVista
The OpVista Optical Network architecture turns existing network
infrastructure into carrier Ethernet-ready networks easily and
cost-effectively. Universally compatible with existing DWDM systems and
fiber plant, the OpVista product family provides the most effective way for
carriers to boost metro and regional network capacity to meet exploding
consumer and business demand for high-bandwidth video, such as HDTV, and
IP-based services. Furthermore, using OpVista's unique "optical
multicasting: solution, carriers can deliver bandwidth in single wavelength
increments to any node at any time. As carriers make the transition to IP
and Ethernet-based services, OpVista is there to help carriers realize
greater revenue and reduce both operating and capital expenditures. OpVista
is based in Milpitas, CA. For more information visit www.opvista.com.

About Internet2(R)
Internet2 is the foremost U.S. advanced networking consortium. Led by the
research and education community since 1996, Internet2 promotes the missions
of its members by providing both leading-edge network capabilities and
unique partnership opportunities that together facilitate the development,
deployment and use of revolutionary Internet technologies. By bringing
research and academia together with technology leaders from industry,
government and the international community, Internet2 promotes collaboration
and innovation that has a fundamental impact on the future of the Internet

###

Contacts:
Constantine Theodoropulos
617.619.9801

or
Mike Newsom
508.541.9036

Lauren Rotman
Internet2

  • OpVista Joins Internet2, Lauren Rotman, 05/14/2007