i2-news - WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY DELIVERS OSTN ON LINUX

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY DELIVERS OSTN ON LINUX

  • From: "David W. Fleig" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY DELIVERS OSTN ON LINUX
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:56:06 -0500

WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY DELIVERS OSTN ON LINUX

November 17, 2006 – DETROIT – Wayne State University (WSU) today announced deployment of OSTN on a Linux platform. OSTN is the only global 24/7 student-produced television network. Wayne State receives OSTN’s all-digital, student-produced programming via Internet2 and delivers it around the clock on CATV to more than 1,000 viewers in its new residence hall complex.

“OSTN offers another opportunity for WSU students to share experiences with students from other universities. With the OSTN student-programming channel, our students can get a look at what their peers in the field of student-produced television are doing. In the future, the interest generated may result in WSU submitting content to OSTN as well,” said John Camp, Chief Information Officer at Wayne State University. “We look forward to the possibility of expanding our relationship with OSTN.”

“We applaud the research and development efforts of our colleagues at WSU to deliver OSTN on Linux,” said Prashant Chopra, OSTN Chief Executive Officer. “By leveraging WSU’s work and contributions to the OSTN commu¬nity, other universities sharing WSU’s commitment to support Open Source computing now will be able to more rapidly and reliably deploy OSTN at their institutions.”

OSTN features a variety of programming genres ranging from morning talk shows like “Good Morning Emerson” from ECTV at Emerson College, to soap operas like “Ivory Tower” from HRTV at Harvard University, to student films from Yale University, to animations from the Film/Video/Digital Program at Duke University, to news shows like “Front and Center” from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

“WSU chose to develop an OSTN digital program receiver using Linux as an operating system for a couple reasons: Our goal was to build a computer system we felt was reliable enough to run 24/7 in an unattended environment, with an absolute minimum amount of staff support,” said David Fleig, project manager with the Computing and Information Technology Division at Wayne State University.

About OSTN:
Open Student Television Network (OSTN) is the only 24/7 global channel exclusively devoted to student-produced programming. OSTN is delivered to more than 34 million users at 3,778 university member campuses and 36 countries in North America & Europe. For more information, visit www.ostn.tv.

OSTN uses the Abilene high-speed network managed by Internet2 in North America, the GEANT2 Network managed by DANTE in the European Union, and ORION in Ontario, Canada to deliver OSTN to more than 34 million users at 3,778 university member campuses and 36 countries in North America and Europe. The digital channel can be viewed on both televisions and personal computers.

About Wayne State University:
Wayne State University is a premier institution of higher education offering more than 350 academic programs through 11 schools and colleges to more than 33,000 students. For more information, visit wayne.edu.

About Internet2:
Internet2 is the foremost U.S. advanced networking consortium. Led by the research and education community since 1996, Internet2 promotes the missions of its members by providing both leading-edge network capabilities and unique partnership opportunities that together facilitate the development, deployment and use of revolutionary Internet technologies. Internet2 brings the U.S. research and academic community together with technology leaders from industry, government and the international community to undertake collaborative efforts that have a fundamental impact on tomorrow's Internet. For more information, visit: www.internet2.edu/.

Contact:
David Fleig
313-577-0845

# # #

  • WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY DELIVERS OSTN ON LINUX, David W. Fleig, 11/17/2006