i2-news - SC|05 Challenges Scientists and Networking Experts to Think Outside the Box

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

  • From: "Lauren B. Kallens" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: SC|05 Challenges Scientists and Networking Experts to Think Outside the Box
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:46:12 -0400

SC|05 Challenges Scientists and Networking Experts to Think Outside the
Box

Contact:
Kathryn Kelley
SC|05 Communications Chair
614-292-6067

July 14, 2005 - This year, SC|05 will be hosting its sixth annual Bandwidth
Challenge in Seattle, Washington on November 12-18, 2005. This contest
serves to challenge scientists and networking engineers to create the best
and most advanced techniques for utilizing vast amounts of data and
showcasing it on advanced networks. The key to this bandwidth challenge is
to display the data via a meaningful application.

"To win the Bandwidth Challenge, our innovative scientists and networking
gurus not only stretch the bounds of network capacity, they stretch their
imaginations to envision a future where colossal bandwidth resources are
indispensable to scientific collaboration and discovery," said Debbie
Montano, SC|05 Bandwidth Challenge Chair and Director of Research &
Education Alliances for Force10 Networks, Inc.

The Bandwidth Challenge entries will be evaluated based on their ability to
support the mission of science and to maintain sustained data throughput.

The throughput amount will be verified using high performance monitoring
gear provided by Spirent Communications. Qwest Communications will provide
bandwidth to the show floor and Force10 Networks is providing the
high-density 10GigE switch at the nexus of the SC|05 Bandwidth Challenge.

SC|05 participants should expect approximately 400 to 500 Gbps of
bandwidth and possibly even more to interconnect and showcase the work of
scientists and networking leaders around the world.

The deadline for submitting a full entry to the Bandwidth Challenge is
September 1, 2005. In order to be included in the final SC|05 program, a
summary must be submitted by July 29, 2005. Please make all submissions
through the following website: http://www.sc-submissions.org/.

If participants plan to submit a Bandwidth Challenge entry in August or
later, please also e-mail an intent to participate in the Bandwidth
Challenge to

by July 29, 2005.

About SC|05
SC|05, the premier international conference on high performance
computing, networking and storage, will convene November 12-18, 2005 in
Seattle. Under the theme, "Gateway to Discovery," SC|05 will showcase how
high performance computing, networking, storage and analytics lead to
advances in research, education and commerce. Exciting technical and
education programs, workshops, tutorials, an expanded exhibit area,
demonstrations and many other activities await attendees. SC|05 is the one
place that attendees can see tomorrow's technology being used to solve
world-class challenge problems.

  • SC|05 Challenges Scientists and Networking Experts to Think Outside the Box, Lauren B. Kallens, 07/14/2005