i2-news - Qwest Communications Continues Delivering High-Performance Network To Internet2 In Extended Agreement

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

Qwest Communications Continues Delivering High-Performance Network To Internet2 In Extended Agreement

  • From: "Lauren B. Kallens" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Qwest Communications Continues Delivering High-Performance Network To Internet2 In Extended Agreement
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:59:03 -0500

QWEST COMMUNICATIONS CONTINUES DELIVERING HIGH-PERFORMANCE NETWORK TO
INTERNET2 IN EXTENDED AGREEMENT

Qwest's OC-192 Optical Network Remains Core Transport for Internet2's
Abilene Network

DENVER, November 22, 2004 - Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE:Q)
today announced an agreement to continue providing optical and SONET network
services to Internet2, a university-led research and development consortium
that includes more than 300 U.S. universities, research institutions,
corporations, and government agencies working together to create and deploy
next-generation Internet technologies.

In this latest agreement, Qwest will continue as the backbone transport
provider for the Abilene Network - Internet2's advanced transcontinental
backbone - through September 2007. The new agreement builds on an original
agreement executed in April 1998 and subsequently extended for five years in
October 2001.

Under the extension, the Abilene Network will continue using nearly 10,000
route-miles of Qwest's 10-Gigabit-per-second optical network, providing
Internet2 members with advanced, reliable connectivity for ongoing
collaboration and innovation.

"Thanks to this extended agreement, the Abilene Network will continue to
provide the advanced capabilities, performance, and bandwidth that our
members have come to rely upon as we work together to test, build and deploy
the next generation of Internet technology," said Douglas Van Houweling,
president and chief executive officer of Internet2. "Qwest remains a
reliable and committed partner in meeting the ever-evolving needs of our
community."

"Qwest is pleased to continue its partnership with Internet2, and to
provide the network infrastructure for top research and education
institutions worldwide to run next-generation IP applications," said
Clifford S. Holtz, executive vice president of Qwest's business markets
group. "Internet2 members continually put our network to the test by running
applications that require very high bandwidth, and Qwest is pleased to
surpass their expectations with our best-in-class network solution."

The Abilene Network, which currently connects over three million users, 220
research and education institutions, and 34 state education networks,
operates at a speed 15,000 times faster than the average household broadband
connection and with a capacity to send 9.7 million five-paragraph e-mails in
one second. The network remains one of the most advanced and far-reaching
education and research networks globally. Internet2 continues to work with
its members to create a new hybrid optical and packet network architecture
to accommodate emerging network applications requiring even greater capacity
and flexibility.

Abilene supports advanced native services, such as IP multicast and IPv6 and
provides a transparent view of network performance through the Abilene
Observatory measurement collaboration. In recent years, the Abilene Network
has played host to numerous successful efforts in the Internet2 Land Speed
Record competition, through which various sets of members have set Guinness
World Records for the speed of vast amounts of data sent at great distance
across the network.

About Qwest
Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q) is a leading provider of
voice, video and data services. With more than 40,000 employees, Qwest is
committed to the "Spirit of Service" and providing world-class services that
exceed customers' expectations for quality, value and reliability. For more
information, please visit the Qwest Web site at www.qwest.com.

About Internet2R
Led by more than 200 U.S. universities working with industry and government,
Internet2 develops and deploys advanced network applications and
technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of
tomorrow's Internet. Internet2 recreates the partnerships among academia,
industry, and government that helped foster today's Internet in its infancy.
For more information, visit: www.internet2.edu.

About the Abilene Network
The Abilene Network is an Internet2 high-performance backbone network that
enables the development of advanced Internet applications and the deployment
of leading-edge network services to Internet2 universities and research labs
across the country. The network has become the most advanced native IP
backbone network available to universities participating in Internet2. The
Abilene Network supports the development of applications such as virtual
laboratories, digital libraries, distance education and tele-immersion, as
well as the advanced networking capabilities that are the focus of
Internet2. Abilene complements and peers with other high-performance
research networks in the United States and internationally. For more
information, visit: http://abilene.internet2.edu/.

# # #

Forward Looking Statement Note
This release may contain projections and other forward-looking statements
that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements may differ materially
from actual future events or results. Readers are referred to the documents
filed by us with the Securities and Exchange Commission, specifically the
most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause
actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking
statements, including but not limited to: access line losses due to
increased competition, including from technology substitution of our access
lines with wireless and cable alternatives; our substantial indebtedness,
and our inability to complete any efforts to de-lever our balance sheet
through asset sales or other transactions; any adverse outcome of the
current investigation by the U.S. Attorney's office in Denver into certain
matters relating to us; adverse results of increased review and scrutiny by
regulatory authorities, media and others (including any internal analyses)
of financial reporting issues and practices or otherwise; rapid and
significant changes in technology and markets; any adverse developments in
commercial disputes or legal proceedings, including any adverse outcome of
current or future legal proceedings related to matters that are the subject
of governmental investigations, and, to the extent not covered by insurance,
if any, our inability to satisfy any resulting obligations from funds
available to us, if any; potential fluctuations in quarterly results;
volatility of our stock price; intense competition in the markets in which
we compete including the likelihood of certain of our competitors emerging
from bankruptcy court protection or otherwise reorganizing their capital
structure and competing effectively against us; changes in demand for our
products and services; acceleration of the deployment of advanced new
services, such as broadband data, wireless and video services, which could
require substantial expenditure of financial and other resources in excess
of contemplated levels; higher than anticipated employee levels, capital
expenditures and operating expenses; adverse changes in the regulatory or
legislative environment affecting our business; and changes in the outcome
of future events from the assumed outcome included in our significant
accounting policies.

The information contained in this release is a statement of Qwest's present
intention, belief or expectation and is based upon, among other things, the
existing regulatory environment, industry conditions, market conditions and
prices, the economy in general and Qwest's assumptions. Qwest may change its
intention, belief or expectation, at any time and without notice, based upon
any changes in such factors, in Qwest's assumptions or otherwise. The
cautionary statements contained or referred to in this release should be
considered in connection with any subsequent written or oral forward-looking
statements that Qwest or persons acting on its behalf may issue. This
release may include analysts' estimates and other information prepared by
third parties for which Qwest assumes no responsibility.
Qwest undertakes no obligation to review or confirm analysts' expectations
or estimates or to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking
statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to
reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
By including any information in this release, Qwest does not necessarily
acknowledge that disclosure of such information is required by applicable
law or that the information is material.

The Qwest logo is a registered trademark of Qwest Communications
International Inc. in the U.S. and certain other countries.

Contacts:
Media Contact: Investor Contact:
Claire Mylott Stephanie Comfort
303-965-2689 800-567-7296

Lauren Kallens
Internet2
202.331.5345

  • Qwest Communications Continues Delivering High-Performance Network To Internet2 In Extended Agreement, Lauren B. Kallens, 11/22/2004