i2-news - I2-NEWS: Internet2 Collaborates with Arbor Networks to Protect University Networks Against Security and Operational Threats

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

  • From: "Lisa Quinby" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Internet2 Collaborates with Arbor Networks to Protect University Networks Against Security and Operational Threats
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:01:25 -0500

INTERNET2 COLLABORATES WITH ARBOR NETWORKS TO PROTECT UNIVERSITY NETWORKS
AGAINST SECURITY AND OPERATIONAL THREATS

Internet2 consortium members leverage Arbor's Peakflow solutions to protect
their infrastructure from DDoS attacks, rapidly propagating worms, routing
attacks and traffic mismanagement

Lexington, MA, March 30, 2004 - Arbor Networks®, the leading provider of
network integrity systems, and Internet2 today announced their successful
collaboration to defend university networks against a range of network
infrastructure security and operational threats. Internet2 is a research and
development consortium led by more than 200 universities, working with more
than 100 companies, government research laboratories and other organizations.

The birthplace and initial proving ground for Arbor's Peakflow® Platform was
founded on a three-year collaborative research effort with Internet2 members
Merit Network, Inc. and the University of Michigan. Over time, Peakflow has
been deployed across a number of Internet2 member networks, in the Abilene
Network, and at several other leading universities.

"Arbor Networks has collaborated with Merit Network to develop comprehensive,
state-of-the-art solutions for detecting, tracing, and mitigating zero-day
threats such as DDoS attacks, rapidly propagating worms, routing attacks and
traffic mismanagement," said Hunt Williams, president of Merit, which
operates a high-speed regional backbone connecting member and affiliate
organizations to Internet2. "The early, successful adoption of Arbor's
advanced technology by Merit and the Internet2 community is helping to
protect us from a broad spectrum of debilitating attacks."

The rapid adoption of this solution by the Internet2 community led to a
fast-paced transfer of the technology in the commercial sector and widespread
deployment in service provider networks. Today, Peakflow is the most broadly
installed network integrity system in the world, with over 50 customers that
include service providers and multi-service operators (MSOs) in North
America, Europe and Asia Pacific, the U.S. Department of Defense, and several
Fortune 500 companies.

"Arbor Networks' successful collaboration as an Internet2 member has
strengthened the community's ongoing efforts to improve security," said
Douglas Van Houweling, President and CEO of Internet2. "We highly value
Arbor's contributions to improving security in our advanced networking
environment and welcome their continued support and engagement."

Peakflow addresses a broad spectrum of security and operational threats.
Network operators can detect, analyze, and mitigate network outages and
inefficiencies, whether they stem from an attack, misconfiguration, misuse,
or the longer-term impact of changes in network utilization. For example,
detailed usage reports by university department can be generated, noting
allowance for bill back and providing for accurate resource planning.

"Our collaboration and experience with Internet2 members has been key in
developing and improving the technology that today helps protect advanced
networks around the world from a range of infrastructure security threats,"
said Farnam Jahanian, Arbor Network's Founder and Chairman of the Board.
"Through our continued work with Internet2 and its members, we look forward
to the opportunity to help universities improve the security, reliability,
and performance of their growing networks."

Internet2 consortium members can avail themselves of the special conditions
negotiated with Arbor Networks for Peakflow deployments. Contact Arbor
Networks for more information.

About Internet2
Led by more than 200 U.S. universities, working with industry and government,
Internet2 develops and deploys advanced network applications and technologies
for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of tomorrow's
Internet. Internet2 recreates the partnerships among academia, industry, and
government that helped foster today's Internet in its infancy. For more
information about Internet2, visit: http://www.internet2.edu/.

About Arbor Networks
Arbor's network integrity systems protect organizations from zero-day
security threats such as DDoS attacks and worms, and operational
vulnerabilities such as inefficient peering and routing instability. Built
upon the proven Peakflow platform, Arbor solutions provide accurate,
real-time awareness of behavior across the entire network, enabling
organizations to better secure and more efficiently operate their networks.
Arbor is headquartered in Lexington, MA, with a research and development
office in Ann Arbor, MI, and EMEA headquarters in London. For more
information, please visit http://www.arbornetworks.com.

Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Arbor Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. Arbor
Networks and Peakflow are registered trademarks, and the Arbor Networks logo
and ArbOS are trademarks of Arbor Networks, Inc. All other trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.

# # #

Contact:
Lisa Quinby
Arbor Networks

+1 781 768 3294

Michelle Pollak
Internet2

+1 202 331 5345

--------
Lisa Quinby
Global Marketing Communications
Arbor Networks
Tel: +1.781.768.3294
Fax: +1.781.768.3299

  • I2-NEWS: Internet2 Collaborates with Arbor Networks to Protect University Networks Against Security and Operational Threats, Lisa Quinby, 03/30/2004