i2-news - I2-NEWS: Wayne State University Maggie Allesee Department of Dance Presents "Long-Distance Dance!"

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Wayne State University Maggie Allesee Department of Dance Presents "Long-Distance Dance!"

  • From: "Michelle Pollak" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Wayne State University Maggie Allesee Department of Dance Presents "Long-Distance Dance!"
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:54:08 -0500

WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY MAGGIE ALLESEE DEPARTMENT OF DANCE PRESENTS
"LONG-DISTANCE DANCE!"

Wayne State Dance to Present Astounding Choreography via Internet Broadcast
March 3

DETROIT - FEB 20, 2003 - The Wayne State University Maggie Allesee
Department of Dance presents "Long-distance Dance!" A live telematic
rehearsal between the dancers of the Wayne State University Dance Company
and Urban Bush Women Artistic Director, Jawole Willa Jo Zollar at Florida
State University in Tallahassee, Florida.

Originating before a live audience in the Maggie Allesee Telematic Studio,
"Long-distance Dance!" will be Webcast to dance professionals, students and
educators around the world using the national, high-capacity Internet2
network. The telematic rehearsal will have both a present in-studio audience
and a simultaneous global audience.

"Our dancers will perform HairStories, which is a piece that will anchor our
75th spring concert later in the month," said Kelly Gottesman, Dance Company
director. "And they'll receive immediate feedback from internationally
renowned choreographer Jawole Willa Jo Zollar, who won't be physically
present but will observe and give critical feedback to the WSU dancers from
Florida State University's Enhanced Black Box Studio where she teaches
dance."

Zollar is the director of the New York-based contemporary dance company,
Urban Bush Women, which is the 2004 Maggie Allesee Dance Artist-in-Residence
at Wayne State.

The event is free and open to the public. The Maggie Allesee Dance Studio is
located at 4841 Cass Ave., Third Floor of Old Main, on the campus of Wayne
State. For more info, http://www.dance.wayne.edu

Wayne State University is Michigan's only urban research university,
fulfilling a unique niche in providing access to a world-class education at
a great value. Wayne State's 13 schools and colleges offer more than 350
major subject areas to our 33,000 graduate and undergraduate students.

WSU is located in the heart of Detroit's University Cultural Center, the
home of renowned museums, galleries and theatres, most within walking
distance. The WSU main campus encompasses 203 acres of beautifully
landscaped walkways and gathering spots, linking 100 education and research
buildings. Our five extension centers in the metropolitan area provide
convenient access to a wide selection of courses

For more info, http://www.wayne.edu

CONTACT:
Kelly Gottesman
Director, WSU Dance Company
(313) 577-4273

  • I2-NEWS: Wayne State University Maggie Allesee Department of Dance Presents "Long-Distance Dance!", Michelle Pollak, 02/27/2004