i2-news - I2-NEWS: GNEW 2004: The First International GRID Networking Workshop

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: GNEW 2004: The First International GRID Networking Workshop

  • From: "Michelle Pollak" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: GNEW 2004: The First International GRID Networking Workshop
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:25:24 -0500

GNEW 2004: THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL GRID NETWORKING WORKSHOP
15-16 March 2004
Geneva, Switzerland
http://datatag.web.cern.ch/datatag/gnew2004/

This workshop will bring together international experts in Grid networking,
a new field where people study the engineering, provisioning, use,
monitoring, and performance analysis of the long-distance gigabit networks
that underpin Grid applications (e.g., the LHC Computing Grid). The areas
specifically covered by this workshop are network infrastructure, end-to-end
protocols, end-to-end performance, high-speed firewalls, and performance
monitoring infrastructure.

The key objectives of GNEW 2004 are to:

+ Share and challenge the lessons learned by national and international
projects in the past three years;
+ Share the current state of network engineering and infrastructure and its
likely evolution in the near future;
+ Examine our understanding of the networking needs of Grid applications
(e.g., see the ICFA-SCIC reports);
+ Develop a vision of how network engineering and infrastructure will (or
should) support Grid computing needs in the next three years.

The main outcome expected from this workshop is to advance the community's
understanding of what is possible and affordable in the next few years, and
what interactions are required between Grid middleware and the underlying
networks. A topic of particular interest is whether there is general
agreement that one needs to depart from the shared network model and move
toward a circuit-oriented model (e.g., "switched lambdas").

This workshop, reflecting the nature of the Grid networking community, is a
joint international effort, technically co-sponsored by leading
organizations from several continents around the world.

Participation will be limited to 60 individuals. This workshop will be
broadcast live via VRVS.

Sponsored by: Cisco Systems
Technically co-sponsored by: DANTE, DataTAG, ESnet, Internet2, TERENA

  • I2-NEWS: GNEW 2004: The First International GRID Networking Workshop, Michelle Pollak, 02/20/2004