i2-news - PLEASE READ: Important News About I2-NEWS List Security

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

PLEASE READ: Important News About I2-NEWS List Security

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: PLEASE READ: Important News About I2-NEWS List Security
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:45:31 -0500

Dear I2-NEWS Subscriber:

Earlier today, two forged email messages were sent to the I2-NEWS list using the subject lines "ID ewhe... thanks" and "ID axhtvtysn... thanks". These messages contained the virus Alua/Bagle.B (Symantec/Mcafee). If you have not done so already, please delete these messages immediately. Do NOT open the attachments that accompanied them.

We deeply regret this breach of list security and have already taken steps to prevent it from happening again.

The messages were sent using a spoofed address: even though they appeared to come from Michelle Pollak () they were in fact sent by someone without permission to send to the list, a non-Internet2 staff computer already infected with the virus. However, because is a moderator on the I2-NEWS list, the spoofing allowed the messages to be forwarded by our list server without first being reviewed.

To prevent this type of incident from happening again, we have already changed the list server used for I2-NEWS, and have implemented stricter controls for reviewing messages before they are sent to the list.