i2-news - I2-NEWS: Internet2 to Hold First-ever, Virtual National Internet2 Day

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Internet2 to Hold First-ever, Virtual National Internet2 Day

  • From: "Michelle Pollak" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Internet2 to Hold First-ever, Virtual National Internet2 Day
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:53:45 -0500

Title: I2-NEWS: Internet2 to Hold First-ever, Virtual National Internet2 Day

INTERNET2 TO HOLD FIRST-EVER, VIRTUAL NATIONAL INTERNET2 DAY

ANN ARBOR, MI – December 2, 2003 – Your chief research scientist wants access to a petabyte of new data from the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, but the data is geographically dispersed across multiple datasets.  You want Pinchas Zuckerman to hear the violin prodigy you are coaching, but the student lives in Oklahoma.  Learn how Internet2(R) members are using advanced networking technologies to address these and other challenges at the virtual National Internet2 Day announced today by Internet2.  National Internet2 Day takes place on Thurs., March 18, 2004 and will demonstrate the value of member institutions’ investment in Internet2; to share the potential and reality of advanced network applications; and to generate additional awareness of Internet2 capabilities.  Internet2 member institutions will hold on campus activities in conjunction with National Internet2 Day.

“We are pleased to announce the first virtual National Internet2 Day in hopes that we can generate greater awareness of Internet2 capabilities at institutions around the country,” said Ted Hanss, Internet2 Director of Applications.  “Internet2 applications can make a tremendous difference in how we live and work each day.  Through this event, we aim to further demonstrate the potential of advanced network applications on member campuses and institutions – making a difference in how students learn, professors teach, and researchers collaborate.”

National speakers from disciplines including science and research, teaching, performing arts and collaboration technologies will be webcast throughout the day.  Confirmed speakers include:

+ Douglas Van Houweling, president and CEO, Internet2
+ Daniel Atkins, professor of the School of Information in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan and chair of the National Science Foundation Advisory Panel on CyberInfrastructure

+ Steve Corbató, director of Backbone Network Infrastructure, Internet2
+ Thomas A. Finholt, director of the Collaboratory for Research on Electronic Work and senior associate research scientist, School of Information, University of Michigan

+ David Lapsley, research engineer at the Haystack Observatory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
+ Shawn McKee, assistant research scientist in the Physics Department, University of Michigan
+ Wendy Shapiro, director of Instructional Technology, Case Western Reserve University
+ Jonathan Tyman, manager of Digital Video and The Commons, Internet2
+ Franz Kurfess, associate professor in the Computer Science Department, California Polytechnic State University

Internet2 member institutions are complementing virtual National Internet2 Day activities by hosting local activities to demonstrate:

+ How Internet2 applications are currently being used on member campuses
+ Projects currently underway within the Internet2 community
+ How to begin collaboration with other Internet2 members
+ How students and faculty benefit from Internet2

Participation is easy because Internet2 can provide participating member institutions with the resources needed to host successful local Internet2 Day activities such as banners, brochures and information sheets.  Like typical Internet2 Days, Internet2 can provide loaner equipment.  Member institutions are responsible only for shipping costs.  For more information visit: http://apps.internet2.edu/roadshows.html.

Participating member institutions planning to host local Internet2 day activities on their campuses include:

+ California Polytechnic University, Pomona
+ Florida International University
+ Rochester Institute of Technology
+ New York University
+ Bradley University

If you are an Internet2 member institution interested in hosting local National Internet2 Day activities, please contact Marianne Smith at (734) 352-4976 or .  Visit http://events.internet2.edu/2004/Internet2Day/ for more information.

# # #

About Internet2(R)
Led by more than 200 U.S. universities working with industry and government, Internet2 develops and deploys advanced network applications and technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of tomorrow’s Internet.  Internet2 recreates the partnerships among academia, industry, and government that helped foster today’s Internet in its infancy.  For more information, visit: www.internet2.edu.

Contact:
Michelle Pollak
Internet2
(202) 331-5345

  • I2-NEWS: Internet2 to Hold First-ever, Virtual National Internet2 Day, Michelle Pollak, 12/02/2003