i2-news - I2-NEWS: PAETEC Communications Becomes Internet2 Corporate Member

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: PAETEC Communications Becomes Internet2 Corporate Member

  • From: Michelle Pollak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: PAETEC Communications Becomes Internet2 Corporate Member
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:04:49 -0400

PAETEC COMMUNICATIONS BECOMES INTERNET2 CORPORATE MEMBER

Fairport, NY, July 28, 2003 -- PAETEC Communications, Inc., an integrated communications provider, today announced that it has become a corporate member of Internet2(R). Internet2 is a consortium led by over 200 universities working in partnership with industry and government leaders to develop and deploy advanced network applications and technologies, in order to help accelerate Internet development.

Internet2's primary objectives include: creating a leading edge network capability for the national research community; enabling revolutionary Internet applications; and ensuring the rapid transfer of new network services and applications to the broader Internet community.

According to Rick Cunningham, PAETEC's vice president of strategic markets, "We look forward to the role PAETEC can play in assisting Internet2 in achieving its strategic objectives. We believe that Internet2 plays a critical role in furthering the educational opportunities, research and network applications needs of the next generation of the Internet, and we are excited and proud to be part of the process. The first pilot program, an initiative to develop VoIP technology as a disaster recovery alternative, is very promising."

Georgetown University has partnered with BroadSoft and PAETEC to test and demonstrate the provisioning of an emergency IP voice service in the event conventional communications on the university's campus become inoperable or congested. This system is SIP-based and the system design provides inbound and outbound disaster recovery voice service in the event of CO, node, or gateway failures.

"Internet2 is excited about PAETEC's membership and involvement," says Ben Teitelbaum, program manager for Internet2's voice and integrated communications initiatives. "As we look at voice survivability architectures that combined the best properties of Internet telephony with those of the circuit-switched voice network, it is invaluable to have PAETEC at the table. Their high-level of engineering professionalism and experience as a leading provider of voice services to higher education, provides a unique perspective."

About PATEC Communications
Based in Fairport, NY, PAETEC Communications, Inc. is an integrated communications provider offering broadband services, including advanced voice and video, enhanced data, and communications management services to medium-sized and large businesses, colleges and universities, hospitals, hotels, governmental organizations and affinity groups. PAETEC serves customers in 27 markets, including: Albany, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Connecticut, Fort Lauderdale, Long Island, Los Angeles, Miami, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York City, Orlando, Orange County, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Rhode Island, Rochester, San Diego, Northern Virginia, Syracuse, Washington DC, and Western Massachusetts. PAETEC currently has over 975 employees. For further information, please visit the PAETEC website at http://www.paetec.com.

About Internet2(R)
Led by more than 200 U.S. universities, working with industry and government, Internet2 is developing and deploying advanced network applications and technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of tomorrow's Internet. Internet2 recreates the partnerships among academia, industry and government that helped foster today's Internet in its infancy. For more information, visit: www.internet2.edu.

###

Contacts: Rick Cunningham, vice president, strategic markets, PAETEC Communications, Inc., 734-975-8020
Michelle Pollak, media relations manager, Internet2, 202-331-5345