i2-news - I2-NEWS: IUB, IUPUI, and Purdue Mark I-Light Anniversary, Highlight State University Partnership

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: IUB, IUPUI, and Purdue Mark I-Light Anniversary, Highlight State University Partnership

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: IUB, IUPUI, and Purdue Mark I-Light Anniversary, Highlight State University Partnership
  • Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 23:05:45 -0500

IUB, IUPUI, AND PURDUE MARK I-LIGHT ANNIVERSARY, HIGHLIGHT STATE UNIVERSITY PARTNERSHIP

Researchers to demonstrate advances in science and information technology enabled by I-Light at December 4 workshop; internationally-acclaimed Larry Smarr to keynote

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana -- In December of last year, Governor Frank O'Bannon symbolically launched I-Light, a fiber optic network connecting Indiana University Bloomington, IUPUI, and Purdue University's West Lafayette campus to each other, and to the national Internet2 infrastructure. One year later, the network is already enabling important new research and applications while realizing cost savings for the campuses and the State. These achievements will be celebrated at the I-Light Applications Workshop, December 4, at IUPUI.

The I-Light Network was the first fully operational network of its type and a distinction for the State of Indiana. "I-Light strengthens Indiana's growing reputation as a major center for information technology and telecommunications, and positions the State's research universities at the forefront in the development of advanced telecommunications applications," said Indiana University Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer Michael McRobbie.

On December 4, researchers and technologists from IU Bloomington, IUPUI, and Purdue will demonstrate some of the advances in science and information technology already made possible by I-Light. At the first I-Light Applications Workshop, to be held at the IUPUI University Place Conference Center in Indianapolis, participants can learn how the I-Light network is being used for applications in advanced computing, visualization, and remote collaboration, and about how the I-Light networking environment can enrich research programs in a wide variety of disciplines.

The keynote speaker for the workshop is the internationally acclaimed Larry Smarr.

Smarr is a pioneer in prototyping a national information infrastructure to support academic research, governmental functions, and industrial competitiveness, and is the founding director of the California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology at the Universities of California at San Diego and Irvine. Smarr previously served as founding director for both the National Center for Supercomputing Applications and the National Computational Science Alliance Presently, Smarr is a member of the President's Information Technology Advisory Committee.

"I-Light has allowed IU and Purdue to pool their high-end computational resources and create a facility with an aggregate peak capacity well over one trillion mathematical operations per second," noted Dr. Craig Stewart, IU's Director of Research and Academic Computing. "As a result, scientists from both universities have the ability to run extremely large applications, including biomedical applications used by researchers working in the Indiana Genomics Initiative at IU, as well as homeland security applications being used by researchers at Purdue."

I-Light supports highly advanced research applications and makes possible virtual, real-time collaborative workspaces for scientists and technologists on the core campuses of Indiana's major research universities. In addition, I-Light enables scientists and researchers to exchange tremendously increased volumes of scientific data.

In the year since its inception, I-Light has made possible greater independence in telecommunications through decreased dependence on telecommunication providers. "With multiple strands of optical fiber, I-Light increases current networking capacity by many orders of magnitude, providing more than enough capacity to meet demand over the next 10 to 20 years, " said Brian D. Voss, IU Associate Vice President for Telecommunications. "For example, in August of this year, IU was able to achieve a near four-fold increase in capacity for normal Internet traffic -- at no increase in cost - by leveraging I-Light and its connectivity and co-location with the national internet
infrastructure in Indianapolis."

This increased capacity, which is in addition to existing Internet2 connectivity, is allocated equally between the Halls of Residence at IUB, the IUB campus, and the IUPUI campus and its connections to the six regional campuses. As well, Purdue and the State of Indiana, via the Indiana Higher Education Telecommunication System, were able to
obtain similar capacity improvements at no additional cost using I-Light.

The I-Light Applications Workshop provides an occasion for participants to explore opportunities for collaboration, research, and scholarship using I-Light. For more about I-Light and the upcoming workshop, see: http://www.i-light.org/.

Contact:
Christine Y. Fitzpatrick
Deputy Communications Officer
IU Office of the Vice President for Information Technology & CIO
317-278-1818 (voice)
317-274-4513 (fax)

ListProc web interface at
http://archives.internet2.edu/