i2-news - I2-NEWS: Competition for World's Most Extreme Internet Applications Continues

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Competition for World's Most Extreme Internet Applications Continues

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Competition for World's Most Extreme Internet Applications Continues
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:49:09 -0400

COMPETITION FOR WORLD'S MOST EXTREME INTERNET APPLICATIONS CONTINUES

Internet2 Land Speed Record awards recognize and promote new network applications and technologies

Washington, DC--September, 3 2002--Internet users, researchers, and application developers are encouraged to submit entries to the Internet2 Land Speed Record (I2-LSR) competition for the highest-bandwidth, end-to-end network applications. The next round of awards will be announced and presented in conjunction with the Internet2 Member Meeting to be held in Los Angeles October 27-30.

The current Internet2 Land Speed Record was established on 9 April 2002
by a team from the University of Alaska at Fairbanks; the Faculty of
Science of the University of Amsterdam; and SURFnet, the national
computer network for higher education and research in the Netherlands.

Setting a mark of 4,933 terabit-meters per second, the team transferred 625 megabits of data across 12,272 kilometers from Fairbanks, Alaska to Amsterdam in the Netherlands at 401 megabits per second using the networking capabilities of the Pacific Northwest Gigapop, an access point to leading-edge networks; the Internet2 Abilene backbone network; StarLight, the advanced optical infrastructure and proving ground in Chicago, Illinois; and SURFnet.

The I2-LSR competition includes categories for current (IPv4) and next
generation (IPv6) versions of the Internet Protocol. Entry details can
be found at:

http://www.internet2.edu/html/i2lsr.shtml

Contact:
Greg Wood