i2-news - I2-NEWS: NSF Provides $3.7 Million for NCSA-based NLANR/DAST

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: NSF Provides $3.7 Million for NCSA-based NLANR/DAST

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: NSF Provides $3.7 Million for NCSA-based NLANR/DAST
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:34:27 -0700

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:
Karen Green
NCSA Public Information Officer

217-265-0748

NSF Provides $3.7 Million For NCSA-based Distributed Applications Support Team

CHAMPAIGN, IL, July 10, 2002--The National Science Foundation (NSF) has awarded $3.7 million to the National Laboratory for Applied Network Research (NLANR) Distributed Applications Support Team (DAST) to continue providing technical support, tools development, and community education to the NSF-funded high-performance networking and applications communities.

The award is a three-year extension of the original NLANR/DAST program, which began in 1997 to help scientists and engineers make the most of distributed applications designed to run on high-performance grids. The NLANR/DAST team is located at the National Center for Supercomputing Application (NCSA) at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and is one of three NLANR teams. NLANR is an NSF-funded collaboration that provides technical, engineering, and traffic analysis support for NSF's High Performance Connections sites and for projects involving NSF-funded high-performance networking infrastructure.

NLANR/DAST supports researchers who use the resources of high-performance networks and the middleware-based grid environments that depend on these networks. The team members provide aid at every level of an application developer's project. They maintain tools for measuring network performance, build distributed applications, and assist others developing distributed applications. The team has offered training and demonstrations across the country on NLANR-developed tools such as Iperf (http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/), and Netlog
(http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/#netlog).

"We welcome the challenges of working with researchers to harness high-performance networks and grid-enabled computing environments and of
building on our strong history of assisting scientists and engineers," said John Towns, principal investigator for NLANR/DAST and director of NCSA's Scientific Computing division. "Our continued activities in the development of tools, applications support, training, and community-building will help bring emerging grid technologies to the academic research community to solve a whole new class of scientific problems."

The next stage of NLANR/DAST will include developing and extending tools
for both high-bandwidth optical networks and low-bandwidth wireless
networks. The new award will also allow NLANR/DAST to evolve from a team focused on specific projects into an organization that supports network engineers and application scientists worldwide who use high-performance networks for science and engineering. In addition, the team plans to expand outreach efforts among groups newly funded by the NSF so that these groups know how important networking technologies are to their work.

Jim Ferguson, co-principal investigator and day-to-day manager of
NLANR/DAST activities at NCSA said, "as communities of users develop to
take advantage of grids in scientific and engineering disciplines,
NLANR/DAST is uniquely positioned to assist in the implementation and usage of new middleware as it becomes available."

About NLANR
The National Laboratory for Applied Network Research is an NSF-supported
collaboration to provide technical, engineering and traffic analysis
support for NSF's High Performance Connections sites. NLANR major
activities are performed by three teams: a distributed applications support team based at the University of Illinois' National Center for
Supercomputing Applications; a measurement and analysis team based at the San Diego Supercomputer Center; and a networking engineering support team based at the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center. John Towns, NCSA division director for scientific computing, is the PI for the NLANR Distributed Applications Support Team. For more information, see http://www.nlanr.net

About NCSA
The National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a leader in developing and
deploying cutting-edge high-performance computing, networking, and
information technologies. NCSA is a partner in the TeraGrid project, a
National Science Foundation initiative to build and deploy the world's
largest, fastest, most comprehensive, distributed infrastructure for open scientific research. NCSA also leads the National Computational Science Alliance (Alliance), a partnership to prototype an advanced computational infrastructure for the 21st century that includes more than 50 academic, government, and industry research partners. The NSF Partnerships for Advanced Computational Infrastructure (PACI) program funds the Alliance. In addition to the NSF, NCSA receives support from the state of Illinois, the University of Illinois, private sector partners, and other federal agencies. For more information, see http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/.

ListProc web interface at
http://archives.internet2.edu/