i2-news - I2-NEWS: Experts Develop Framework to Improve Information Technology Security in Higher Education

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Experts Develop Framework to Improve Information Technology Security in Higher Education

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Experts Develop Framework to Improve Information Technology Security in Higher Education
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:45:23 -0400

EXPERTS DEVELOP FRAMEWORK TO IMPROVE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SECURITY IN HIGHER EDUCATION

Leading National Organizations Support Efforts to Strengthen Critical Infrastructure

Washington, D.C., April 18, 2002--Leading national higher education organizations have endorsed a framework for action designed to improve information technology security in higher education. EDUCAUSE and Internet2, higher education-led information technology management organizations, formed a group of experts to establish an action statement that will engage their over 1600 member organizations to develop a coordinated strategy.

The framework has received support from the American Association of Community Colleges, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, the American Council on Education, the Association of American Universities, the Association of Research Libraries, the National Association of College and University Business Officers, the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, and the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges.

"I think this effort -- this framework -- is extremely important, because it demonstrates that the issue of network security is a major concern of colleges and universities around the country," said David Ward, president of the American Council on Education. "Policy makers and corporate leaders should know that the higher education community is working together constructively to address this challenge."

"This action statement is a solid first step in responding to the special challenges faced by higher education in the area of information technology security," said Molly Corbett Broad, president of the University of North Carolina and chair of the Higher Education Information Technology Alliance. "Increased attention and resources are required to ensure that information technologies continue to support the open exchange of ideas that is at the heart of academia."

"The nation's public research universities are committed to national
initiatives that advance the security of our universities, including the
protection of our information technology infrastructure," said Graham B.
Spanier, president of the Pennsylvania State University and chair of the
National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges board
of directors. "NASULGC is most supportive of this collaborative
initiative being led by Educause and Internet2."

The framework is intended to provide an initial response for ensuring the continued dependability of information resources and communications systems the academic community relies upon. The complete text of "Information Technology Critical Infrastructure in Higher Technology: A Framework for Action" is available at: http://www.internet2.edu/security/ActionFramework.pdf

"Despite the wide variety of information systems and service solutions that the higher education IT community deploys, we have a common concern and need to have one voice in a commitment to protecting our campuses and our society from cyberattack," said Brian Hawkins,
president of EDUCAUSE. "If ever we needed to come together and fulfill our national motto of 'E Pluribus Unum,' it is now and it is by leveraging our collective expertise and credibility."

"Just as the higher education community has worked together in the development and use of information technology in research and education, it must now work together to ensure that the same technology continues to be secure and reliable," said Douglas Van Houweling, president and CEO of Internet2. "Together, this action statement and the broad support it has received provide an excellent foundation for this work."

EDUCAUSE is an international, nonprofit association whose mission is to advance higher education by promoting the intelligent use of information technology. Visit the EDUCAUSE Web site at http://www.educause.edu

Led by over 190 U.S. universities, working with industry and government, Internet2(R), is developing and deploying advanced network applications and technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of tomorrow?s Internet. Internet2 recreates the partnership of academia, industry and government that helped foster today's Internet in its infancy. For more information about Internet2, see:
http://www.internet2.edu

Contacts:

Peter DeBlois
EDUCAUSE