i2-news - I2-NEWS: Globus Toolkit(tm) Tutorial

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Globus Toolkit(tm) Tutorial

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Globus Toolkit(tm) Tutorial
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:37:31 -0500

Globus Toolkit(tm) Tutorial
January 28 - February 1, 2002
APS Conference Center, building 402
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL

The Globus Project will present the following tutorials at Argonne
National Laboratory (in the Chicago area).

Introduction to Grid Computing and the Globus Toolkit

Globus Toolkit Developers Tutorial
29 January - 01 February 2002 (3.5 days)

Globus Toolkit Administrators Tutorial
29 January - 31 January 2002 (2.5 days)

Tutorial Instructors include:

Steve Tuecke
Globus Project lead architect, Argonne National Laboratory

Bill Allcock
Argonne National Laboratory

Charles Bacon
GRIDS Center, University of Chicago

John McGee
University of Southern California/Information Sciences Institute

Grid computing has emerged as an important new field, distinguished
from conventional distributed computing by its focus on large-scale
resource sharing, innovative applications, and, in some cases, high-
performance orientation. The Globus Project is leading the definition
of standard Grid protocols and APIs, in such areas as security,
resource management, data management, and information discovery. The
open source Globus Toolkit, which provides a reference implementation
of these Grid protocols and APIs, has been adopted my most of the
major Grid projects world-wide, to provide a common, robust
infrastructure for building applications that exploit distributed,
heterogeneous, Grid-enabled resources.

On January 28 - February 1, 2002, we will be presenting an in-depth
tutorial on Grid computing and the Globus Toolkit. The first day is
a standalone "Introduction to Grid Computing and the Globus Toolkit."
Starting on day two we will split into two tracks -- one for
developers (to conclude at noon on Friday), and one for systems
administrators (to conclude at noon on Thursday). This tutorial will
be structured similar to the tutorial to be conducted in Edinburgh
(see http://www.globus.org/about/events/Edinburgh2002/index.html),
with the addition of various guest speaker presentations throughout
the week.

There will be ample time for questions, discussions, and breaks
throughout these tutorials. However, due to the size of the expected
audience, we do not intend for these to be a "hands-on" tutorials.
Nonetheless, we expect to have wireless network available so that
people can follow along on their laptops as desired.

Additional information, including registration details, will be placed
at http://www.globus.org/about/events/US_tutorial/index.html

Contact:
Julie Wulf