i2-news - I2-NEWS: CREN Techtalk: Content Delivery Networks/I2-DSI on 20 Sept. 2001 at 4pm EDT

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: CREN Techtalk: Content Delivery Networks/I2-DSI on 20 Sept. 2001 at 4pm EDT

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: CREN Techtalk: Content Delivery Networks/I2-DSI on 20 Sept. 2001 at 4pm EDT
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:24:00 -0400

Micah Beck, Research Associate Professor of Computer Science at the
University of Tennessee and lead investigator in the Internet Distributed Infrastructure (I2-DSI) project, will be the guest expert for a live, interactive TechTalk webcast from the Corporation for Research and Educational Networking (CREN) on September 20, 2001 at 4pm Eastern time. The topic of the event will be "Content Delivery Networks: (CDNs): How They Work and How They're Used." It will be oriented towards helping academic IT professionals to understand what CDNs are, what relevance they have to delivery of commodity content in their networks, and also to help them understand how CDNs and I2-DSI can support the education and research missions of their. Background materials for the event as well as links to the live and archived audio can be found at
http://www.cren.net/know/techtalk/events/contentdelivery.html

The I2-DSI is a research and development project that originated within the Internet2 Network Storage Working Group, obtained early support from
Internet2 and its corporate members, and is now funded by a grant from the Advanced Networking Infrastructure and Research Division of the National Science Foundation's Computing and Information Science and Engineering Directorate. The I2-DSI project activities span research contributions, involvement in industry standards bodies, promulgating open source software, experimental and pre-production deployment of server infrastructure, and it's industry collaborations have given rise to a startup company based on technology developed within the project. More information on the project can be found at:
http://dsi.internet2.edu/

CREN is a non-profit, member organization of over 220 universities,
colleges, and research organizations governed by a 12-member Board of
Trustees. CREN's mission is to support higher education and research
organizations with strategic IT knowledge services and communication tools.

Contact:
Greg Wood
Internet2

+1-202-331-5360