i2-news - I2-NEWS: Call for Participation-Collaboration in Innovative Approaches to Content Delivery over Internet2 Networks

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Call for Participation-Collaboration in Innovative Approaches to Content Delivery over Internet2 Networks

  • From: "Greg Wood" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Call for Participation-Collaboration in Innovative Approaches to Content Delivery over Internet2 Networks
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:59:18 -0400

Call for Participation:
Collaboration in Innovative Approaches to Content Delivery over Internet2
Networks

June 2001

The Conditions of Use (CoU) for Abilene, an Internet2 backbone network,
recently have been modified to allow content-based traffic from corporate
participants. "Content-based traffic" in this context means both advanced
object forms, such as video, audio, and multimedia streams, radar and
medical images, and advanced uses of standard content, such as text-based
information.

In order to gain experience needed to develop appropriate, effective
policies and guidelines, Internet2 is issuing this Call for Participation to
its members, asking them to propose compelling, exemplary advanced content
applications that will be valuable to the mission of member universities.
Advanced content-based applications proposals should be designed to help the
Internet2 community better understand:

+ Content application performance as measurably delivered to end users
+ Best practices for content and applications developers
+ Best practices for applications management and monitoring
+ Ways that advanced content-based applications can support the teaching,
research, and clinical missions of our universities
+ Eligibility

Successful proposals will rely on performance beyond that available on the
commercial Internet. For example, a project could demonstrate the delivery
of interactive broadcast-quality video and high fidelity audio, up to and
including high-definition television (e.g., HD/IP) and multi-channel audio.

Regular (University) Members, Corporate Members, and Affiliate Members of
Internet2 are invited to submit proposals. Collaboration with at least one
University Member is required. For further information and guidelines on
submissions, see:
http://www.internet2.edu/html/cfp-contentcollab.html