i2-news - I2-NEWS: Gary Bachula Joins Internet2 as Vice President for External Relations

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Gary Bachula Joins Internet2 as Vice President for External Relations

  • From: "Greg Wood" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Gary Bachula Joins Internet2 as Vice President for External Relations
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:49:48 -0400

Contact:
Greg Wood
Internet2

202-331-5360

GARY BACHULA JOINS INTERNET2 AS VICE PRESIDENT FOR EXTERNAL RELATIONS

Washington, DC, July 24, 2000—Internet2(R) today announced that Gary Bachula
has joined its Washington, DC office as Vice President for External
Relations where he will focus on strengthening and enhancing relationships
with government and not-for-profit organizations working to advance Internet
technology.

“I have tremendous respect for the talent and experience Gary Bachula brings
to the Internet2 team. He will help us build on the Internet2 community's
success in developing broad partnerships,” said Douglas Van Houweling,
President and CEO leading Internet2. “Continued solid relationships among
Internet2 and other organizations will help ensure higher education
continues to be a full partner in advanced Internet development.”

Gary served as Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for Technology at the US
Department of Commerce from 1993 to April of this year and was named as the
Acting Under Secretary from June 1997 to October 1999 by Secretary William
Daley. The Under Secretary oversees the National Institute of Standards and
Technology (NIST) and advises the Secretary of Commerce on science and
technology policies and program initiatives.

“The breadth of Gary’s experience in fostering partnerships that provide a
foundation for advancing technology will be especially beneficial to
realizing the mission and goals of Internet2,” said David Ward, Chancellor
of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Chair of the Board of Trustees
overseeing Internet2. “I am very pleased to have him on board.”

At Commerce, Gary led efforts to build partnerships between federal R&D
agencies and state technology programs, and promoted government-industry
partnerships around programs such as the Global Positioning System (GPS) and
the Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles. Gary served as Vice Chair
of the Committee on Technology of the National Science and Technology
Council.

"Today's Internet is proof that partnerships among academia, industry and
government work," said Bachula. "I am delighted to join Internet2, helping
to bring advanced Internet technologies to the world."

>From 1991 to 1993, as Vice President for the Consortium for International
Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN), Gary managed strategic planning
and program development for the university-based organization working to
build a distributed information network to support NASA's Earth Observation
System.

>From 1986 to 1990, Gary chaired Michigan Governor James J. Blanchard’s
Cabinet Council, spearheading education and workforce skills issues, and
from 1974 to 1986 Gary was Chief of Staff for U.S. Representative Bob
Traxler of Michigan where he advised on appropriations for NASA, EPA, the
National Science Foundation and other federal R&D agencies. Gary holds
undergraduate and law (J.D.) degrees from Harvard University.

About Internet2(R)
Led by over 170 US universities working with industry and government,
Internet2 is developing and deploying advanced network applications and
technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of
tomorrow’s Internet. Internet2 recreates the partnership of academia,
industry and government that helped foster today's Internet in its infancy.
For more information about Internet2, see: http://www.internet2.edu/