i2-news - I2-NEWS: Digital Media lecture series now available over CA*net 3

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Digital Media lecture series now available over CA*net 3

  • From: "Greg Wood" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Digital Media lecture series now available over CA*net 3
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:25:05 -0400

[From
.
For more info, see:
http://www.canet3.net. -Greg]

These lectures on getting a Toronto Digital Media Institute started are now
being presented live via RealPlayer
(@450Kb/s) on Thursdays. The previous lectures are gradually being archived
(the first 4 are up now) and are
available from the library link from their main page at
http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/dmi/

Peter Marshall, Director of Network Applications
CANARIE Inc, 110 O'Connor St., 4th Floor, Ottawa, Canada K1P 1H1
613-781-0667 fax: 613-943-5443 http://www.canarie.ca/~marshall/

Towards the Digital Media Institute: a lecture series

Thursdays, 3:00 - 5:00 p.m.
April 13 - June 15, 2000
University of Toronto
Sandford Fleming Building, 10 Kings College Road, rm. 1105 (except as
noted**)

The University of Toronto's Knowledge Media Design Institute, Ryerson
Polytechnic University, Sheridan College, and the Canadian Film Centre are
presenting a 10-week lecture series: Towards the Digital Media Institute.
The series sponsors are the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Trade
and Tourism, Bell University Laboratory and Communications and Information
Technology Ontario. The series will highlight researchers and research
initiatives at the core of a proposal for a Canadian research institute
focusing on digital media.

If you're in the digital media industry - whether the technical, cultural,
financial, government, or academic sector - this series has something for
you. The sessions will help us identify researchers, institutes, and
corporations in the GTA
who want to participate in the proposed Digital Media Institute.

Each week a moderated panel of researchers will present their ideas, and
engage with the audience to challenge these ideas in a creative dialogue.
Session topics illustrate the increasing importance of collaboration, and
the crossing of traditional disciplinary and institutional boundaries.

April 13: Introduction and Overview SF1105
April 20: Digital and Interactive Television SF1105
April 27: Computer Graphics and Animation **SF1101**
May 4: Innovation and Context SF1105
May 11: Accessibility and Usability SF1105
May 18: Working and Learning Together SF1105
May 25: Connected Communities, Enabling Technologies, Mobility **MS3153**
June 1: Design SF1105
June 8: Intellectual Property Management SF1105
June 15: Wrap-up and Next Steps SF1105

Speakers include Paul Hoffert (CulTech Research Centre), Ronald Baecker
(University of Toronto), Michael Murphy (Ryerson Polytechnic University),
Robin King (Sheridan College), William Buxton (Alias|Wavefront), Ana Serrano
Clarkson (Canadian Film Centre), Gale Moore (University of Toronto), Shauna
Brail (MEDT), David Wolfe (University of Toronto), Karel Vredenburg (IBM).

Join us and together we'll explore the potential collaborations in new
media research.

The series is free but we ask that you contact us at

so we can arrange for sufficient coffee and snacks. For further
information, live webcasts, and archives of the sessions, please see our
information website at: http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/dmi

Building locations:
SF = Sandford Fleming Bldg., 10 King's College Rd.
MS = Medical Sciences Bldg., 1 King's College Circle
U of T campus map: http://oracle.osm.utoronto.ca/map/

Contact for CANARIE-NEWS:

Bill St. Arnaud
Senior Director Network Projects
CANARIE

+1 613 785-0426

  • I2-NEWS: Digital Media lecture series now available over CA*net 3, Greg Wood, 05/31/2000