i2-news - I2-NEWS: Details of HDTV Over Internet2 Networks

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Details of HDTV Over Internet2 Networks

  • From: "Greg Wood" <>
  • To: "I2-News@Internet2. Edu" <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Details of HDTV Over Internet2 Networks
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:13:19 -0400

Details of HDTV Over Internet2 Networks

Details of the recent demonstration by engineers at the University of
Washington, working with colleagues at Sony Electronics and Stanford
University, to send studio-quality high-definition television (HDTV) signals
over 1,000 miles of networks are now available on the Web at:

http://www.washington.edu/researchtv/special/HDtech_9_22.html

The demonstration project, developed in support of the ResearchTV
consortium, used the University of Washington campus network, the
Pacific/Northwest GigaPoP, the Abilene Internet2(tm) backbone, CalREN-2, and
the Stanford University network to sustain the 270 Mb/s needed to send the
HDTV signals from Palo Alto to Seattle. The 270 Mb/s capacity needed to
send studio-quality HDTV is over 6,000 times faster than a typical modem and
over dozen times faster than "consumer grade" HDTV. Unlike
previous efforts to transmit HDTV over data communication links, this
demonstration was based entirely on Internet transport technology and did
not use dedicated circuits or ATM network technology.

An article about the demonstration appearing in the Seattle
Post-Intelligencer Article is available at:
http://www.seattle-pi.com/business/sped23.shtml

ResearchTV Contact:
www.washington.edu/researchtv
Susan Brandt