i2-news - I2-NEWS: GOVERNOR DAVIS, PRESIDENT ZEDILLO ENDORSE INTERNET2 LINK BETWEEN CALIFORNIA AND MEXICO

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: GOVERNOR DAVIS, PRESIDENT ZEDILLO ENDORSE INTERNET2 LINK BETWEEN CALIFORNIA AND MEXICO

  • From: "Greg Wood" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: GOVERNOR DAVIS, PRESIDENT ZEDILLO ENDORSE INTERNET2 LINK BETWEEN CALIFORNIA AND MEXICO
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 12:45:21 -0400

Contact:
Tom West, President
CENIC
562-985-9656

http://www.cenic.org

GOVERNOR DAVIS, PRESIDENT ZEDILLO ENDORSE INTERNET2 LINK BETWEEN CALIFORNIA
AND MEXICO

SAN DIEGO - Plans for a new high-speed Internet2 linkage between California
and Mexico were unveiled today with the endorsement of Gov. Gray Davis and
Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de León.

The two leaders endorsed a joint memorandum of understanding providing for
the connection between universities in California and Mexico. The
memorandum establishes an agreement for the linkage between California's
Corporation for Education Network Initiatives in California (CENIC) and
Mexico's Corporacion Universitaria para el Desarrollo de Internet (CUDI).
Official representatives of the two organizations signed the memorandum
along with Davis and Zedillo.

"The new high-speed Internet2 link between institutions of higher education
in California and Mexico will enhance collaboration among researchers,
teachers and students," Davis said. "It will enrich learning, research and
innovation on both sides of the border."

CENIC is a not-for-profit corporation formed by the University of
California, California Institute of Technology, the California State
University, Stanford University and the University of Southern California to
advance the use of communications technology in research and education at
California's universities. CUDI performs this role for universities and
other research institutions in Mexico.

"Linking together Mexico's and California's advanced networks will enable
our universities to share powerful instruments and supercomputers, enrich
learning through realtime interactions, share medical research and
diagnostic capabilities, and reach into each others' libraries," stated M.
Stuart Lynn, Chairman of the CENIC Board. "Together, we can solve important
educational, social, and research problems to improve the lives of people
everywhere."

As one of their first projects, CUDI and CENIC will initiate the Virtual
Learning Space, (VLS), a high speed computer network using Internet2
technologies that will speed development of digital libraries, distributed
computing networks, and the implementation of remote
organization-to-organization operation of research laboratories.

The Internet2 initiative is a collaborative effort among 140 universities,
private businesses, and the federal government. It is managed by the
University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development (UCAID) which has
also entered into a joint memorandum of understanding with CUDI.
California's segment of the national Internet2 project is CalREN-2, which
links the California CENIC universities together and provides them access to
Internet2 universities and organizations worldwide.

###

***
This is the Internet2 Newswire, the latest news for and about the Internet2
community.
> To subscribe, send "subscribe i2-news" in the body of email to

> To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe i2-news" in the body of email to

Searchable Web archives are at:
http://archives.internet2.edu/guest/archives/I2-NEWS/
For the latest information about Internet2, see:
http://www.internet2.edu

ListProc web interface at

http://mail.internet2.edu/

From LP-APPROVED-BY-MODERATOR