gwe-users - Workspace for Education Storage Management Tools and Policy Updates

Subject: list for communication and collaboration related to NET+ Google Workspace for Education

Workspace for Education Storage Management Tools and Policy Updates

  • From: Drew Sidel <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Workspace for Education Storage Management Tools and Policy Updates
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:32:39 -0500

Hi I2 NET+ Workspace for Education Community,

The new Workspace for Education storage policy was announced in February of 2021. Since then, we’ve been partnering with and listening to customers to ensure that we’re providing the best resources and support. In a recent Workspace blog post, we announced new storage management tools to help you manage your domain's storage, and I wanted to reach out personally to ensure you have everything you need to plan and prepare.

About the Pooled storage model

  • The new storage model provides schools and universities with a baseline of 100TB of pooled cloud storage shared across all your users — more than enough storage for over 100 million docs, 8 million presentations or 400,000 hours of video.

  • Institutions with greater than 20,000 active users will automatically receive additional baseline storage of 5GB per user for each user over 20,000. Active users will be counted as the peak number of 30 day unique logins over the past 180 days, which can be viewed in the admin console. This count will automatically update twice per year and adjust the total storage amount accordingly.

  • Customers with the following Workspace editions will receive additional storage:

  • Education Plus: An additional 20 GB will be added to the shared pool for each Education Plus license. Customers continuing on legacy G Suite Enterprise for Education licenses will also have 100 GB added to their shared pool per paid employee license.

  • Teaching and Learning Upgrade: An additional 100 GB will be added to the shared pool for each Teaching and Learning Upgrade license.

New storage management tools

To help admins better understand and manage your institution’s storage, we’ve launched new storage management tools that provide customers with additional visibility, control, and insights into storage usage across users, groups, and their entire organization. We recommend that customers regularly use these new tools to see how much storage is being used across their organization and view how close their organization is to reaching their storage limit.

With these new storage management tools, admins can quickly and easily:

  • View a storage usage summary for their entire organization

  • View storage used by specific products like Drive or Gmail

  • View the top users of storage in your organization

  • View shared drives with the most storage used in your organization

  • View storage limit warnings for the domain

  • Access detailed reports on storage usage

  • Apply storage limits for individual users by organizational unit (OU) or group

  • Delete shared drives from the admin console

Important note: At launch, only Super admins will have access to the storage management tools. Over the next few months, this will expand for access to Delegated, User, and Reseller admins.

Resources

  • Help Center: You can find detailed instructions for how to use the storage management tools and answers to common storage-related questions in the help center: Google Workspace for Education storage policy changes

  • Workspace for Education Storage Guide: For more comprehensive storage management best practices, check out the Workspace for Education Storage Guide

  • Storage Training Webinars: Register for a demo-based training webinar to see our newly-released storage management tools in action. This training will detail how to use the tools and common use-cases. Register to join live or view the recording on-demand.

Your primary Workspace administrator will receive an email from Google with similar information.  If you're not already engaged with our team and you'd like to connect, please respond directly to me and I’ll loop in your Google for Education points of contact.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

image.gif

Drew Sidel

Head of North America

Google Workspace for Education

| (212) 565-6148

  • Workspace for Education Storage Management Tools and Policy Updates, Drew Sidel, 04/26/2022