grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Structuring Scoped Roles in Grouper

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Structuring Scoped Roles in Grouper

  • From: "Black, Carey M." <>
  • To: Jonathan Keller <>
  • Cc: "" <>, "Hyzer, Chris" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Structuring Scoped Roles in Grouper
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 02:36:17 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=osu.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=osu.edu; dkim=pass header.d=osu.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=x+mMyGH1SmTM589weUOv7WhzaAasyAA9SxN9xAE04wI=; b=TvnZtt1LKL7BDnmrw8zpsftuV7rJh19sbBC5QkKIhbU5kwREh7iTHcMU2pHDdEbI8ZCrkHJRAp8XpnTML/K2LdddjS6d3bwlFtSVR9XWEDEnSVP5omI3ICkV2e31X2NARCbgY03ibLXnY3S7HkOd6UteEMl0dapW94sC7HU/Mf2OYVn2KIHxsHqduVa5NMKSMiOeAdNjpsw8xfiXssf8hEkBw4DOQZGvkP2lxmyOfBd0iS2qSpITOOgSlak3zWaUQbKIDGjEPRM0C5quZ6T5t39epn5r0mkjW9eLQcyrAhNzPnpdwXC/tWTvUijFA6MmL55n96PF/EuerANkHEraUg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=EYv3/DB8tZ1fN4Ni0/SerQ0ankMuL7Fz/qVGUHapLQaony7mg/aCi+ZuVPh0r8wvJzzqxM2+I5ClhFZtdAf3ZaeBS2IpXjgU3zI48yUqd/bCKMw67r//JNQjGfdDj7nDrNGowRovpl7lDrMrNzoF54IESkxAXugkq6z2h5fAlPKwdvLz0m5zAZvtyGWDOMj479JB04rsLtL0xA5oWLVIQ+MsHQCtaRM9wSgpgEJy/aeT2mtHIXdLg4XwFZt0uritumR2ApOK/3kQQaX+aeGm815qVF1f310x4+FY7YlcsXvDLMgJpc8t8xewnu4ltwSHuxDFPcQJdhb5asBs5Vvowg==

Jonathan,

Mostly “what Chris said”. But here are a few more comments/thoughts.

You did not mention what version of Grouper you are running.

                I hope it is at least a container based version.  (2.4+?)

                Moving from container N to N+1 has been mostly trivial. ( Testing always wise and suggested. 😊 )

As far as your data model goes I think you could go either way with the solution. And I suspect that the “how do you consume/use the data” will likely add clarity to the choice.

IMO:
   Grouper Permission objects are designed for RBAC and does support “limits”. ( on the Role or the member as I recall .)

   “Limits” can be extended. ( requires code ) So you can create other kinds of limits too.

   Your application is BEST consuming them via “real time WebService calls” back to Grouper. IDK. Maybe that is fine for you. It also means you also need to invest in the Grouper WS servers to always be up and performant enough for your application demands too.
   They are also not the most obvious to create/configure in the UI. It can be done. And it is a UI designed for RBAC and limits. But your users will still likely need training on the UI.

                I have often considered trying to work up an “permissions example” on the Grouper Demo Server ( https://grouperdemo.internet2.edu/ ) . But I have not got around to that yet.
                Using the Demo server might be a good way to “try stuff out” and “ask others to look at stuff” too. 😊 It is a common resource and could be useful for detailed things like this. 😊

                It also can be useful because you can use Social identities to try things out from different user’s privileged to the Grouper objects too.

If you need to “provision/sync the RBAC with limits” ( via out bound message/Change Log Consumer/Provisioner Framework/… from grouper) to the target application then the work to convert Permissions objects into the target system may be similar to a full “custom Attribute Framework based” design too.

As far as: “But, the method for getting into the attributes and assigning them makes it feel like that is not really what they were designed for”.

                I would not go so far as “not really … designed”. Rather I think the UI for the Attribute Framework is more generic and “Grouper Admin/Poweruser” focused and really has very little “average user polish”.

                You are also free to use the Grouper WS as a “back end API” to your own UI application too. ( If you would rather do that work than to tech users how to use the Grouper UI. ) Most, or all?, of the WS calls support an “actAs” value that can allow your application to “talk to Grouper on behalf of other users” too.

                Or you could try to improve the UI for all Grouper users by contributing back to the project too. 😊 Just saying it is a possibility. 😊

HTH.

--

Carey Matthew