grouper-users - [grouper-users] novice installation question

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] novice installation question

  • From: Les LaCroix <>
  • To: " Mailing List" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] novice installation question
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 02:37:59 -0500

Hi,

I have been banging my head all weekend trying to get a sample Grouper installation "maturity level 0" running in my environment.  I recently had an instance of 2.5.22 running on Centos 7 in VirtualBox on my desktop, and it was great until I mucked it up trying to connect my (MS SQL) subject source and couldn't figure out how to recover.  So I thought I would start over with the current latest stable version and the instructions for installing maturity level 0 manually, but I haven't gotten close to a running system since.

I expect to be sending a series of novice questions over the next few days until I get this all figured out.  Here is the first.  It's not the first error displayed when Grouper tries to start, but it feels like a good place to start:

ERROR GrouperCheckConfig.checkDatabase(1502) -  - Error connecting to the database with credentials from grouper.hibernate.properties, url: :jdbc:mysql://192.168.62.12:3306/grouper?useSSL=false", driver: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver, user: "grouper"
java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for :jdbc:mysql://192.168.62.12:3306/grouper?useSSL=false
The Specsheet says "v2.5 works with MariaDB 10.4.12 with driver mysql-connector-java-8.0.16.jar".  I am using the iTAP image for 2.5.29, which the release notes say is the latest stable version today.  When I shell into a container running this image, the only mysql-connector-java* anywhere under /opt is mysql-connector-java-5.1.45.jar, which is not the version referenced on the specsheet.  Is the image shipping with the wrong version?  If not, why the reference to the 8.0.16 version on the specsheet?  Are we supposed to replace the driver ourselves, or use an older version of MariaDB?  If an older version, which one?

Admittedly, I've been trying to run MariaDB 10.4.13 (not .12), and I haven't tried to install 10.4.12.  That'll be the next thing if I hear back reassurances that the container should run against my db.

(BTW, I verified network connectivity to the DB server by installing telnet in the container and telnetting to that IP address at port 3306.  The error seems even more basic than that, however.)

Thanks, -Les

Les LaCroix '79 | Strategic Technologist
Carleton College | 1 N. College St. | MS 3-ITS | Northfield, MN 55057
507.222.5455