grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] LDAP timeouts after Java upgrade

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] LDAP timeouts after Java upgrade

  • From: Alex Poulos <>
  • To: Robert Bradley <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] LDAP timeouts after Java upgrade
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 07:49:05 -0400

We had LDAP issues in 2.3 after switching our directory to OpenLDAP because OpenLDAP was much more aggressive about closing idle connections. This looks different than the error we were getting, if memory serves, but it is at least possible that your directory server is closing idle connections.

There have been odd bugs related to LDAP in Java 8 and higher, as already noted. Since you hit this problem on updating a JVM I assume that’s what’s going on.

We’ve had much better LDAP performance and stability since moving to a grouper 2.4, where the newer Ldaptive library is used across the board in place of the antique vt-ldap.

FWIW, getting to the point where you can deploy grouper as a container is well worth the effort in the long run, as it makes upgrading pretty easy. It took us several months of effort to move from 2.3 non-container to 2.4 containerized. By contrast, our move from 2.4 to 2.5 has taken just a few days of dev time.

Good luck!

Alex Poulos, PhD
IT Engineer
University of Maryland, College Park