grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] PSPNG Group rename events....

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] PSPNG Group rename events....

  • From: Jeffrey Williams <>
  • To: "Black, Carey M." <>
  • Cc: "Hyzer, Chris" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] PSPNG Group rename events....
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 18:03:14 -0400

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 3:16 PM Black, Carey M. <> wrote:
Chris,

Unfortunately, my local AD wants samaccountname=cn  (well as much as will fit into samaccountname) to always be true.
        And the samaccountname to be an “English name for the group”.
samAccountName should go up to 256 characters since at least Win2k, so you ought to be good there for the most part.

Some grumbling about Powershell still uses the samaccountname by default to “name” the group.. or something like that.
        And there are other "naming constraints" too.

I've ran into this same constraint as well about samAccountName = cn = name from our Windows Engineers. I played around with the idea of UUID as samAccountName and got grief from our AD Admin over it.  Enough that I moved away from trying to use it to key off of and over to gidNumber, leaving samAccountName to ${group.extension} and happier AD Admins as a result.

However, if there was some other attribute that I could stuff the grouper UUID into that could work.  ( very much the POSIX group ID pattern, just a different value)
        I would have to ask if they have, or would be willing to add, one. ( Adding attributes may be out of the question for some orgs. )

The closest thing that a default AD schema is going to have to store an external reference id for groups is probably going to be gidNumber.  Anything else seemed to be a shoehorn attempt that won't make sense to AD engineers.

There are a number of good things about using gidNumber in this event. Including:
  1.  Providing consistency on how to reference groups across multiple directory systems, so when other operators run into issues, there's a common configuration for AD, 389DS, and openLDAP users to start from.
  2. AD by default leaves this as null, so there's no chance of id collision in a vanilla AD environment caused by AD itself.
  3. Requires no change to PSPNG code or behavior to implement.  gidNumber is already implemented in Grouper.  It's doing what you need today. :)
  4. Allows Grouper to be authoritative in the sub-OU it's given without being concerned about objects outside of it's searchBaseDN.
Did the AD Admin's have an issue with you using gidNumber in this instance?

Also, IMHO,
        Grouper should hold the external reference because it has a "lower burden on the connected system" and Grouper can be "authoritative" for the value it holds.  :) AKA: Connected System admins can't remove/change the value because "that looks like junk".....

If Grouper is not generating the value that is used to uniquely identify the groups it maintains, it cannot said to be authoritative for said groups. Much like my caching DNS server at home cannot be authoritative for Google just because it knows the IP address.

I agree that using samAccountName as a search attribute should be avoided because it's domain-scoped and has odd dependencies and behaviors(in fact, I'd just set it to ${group.extension} to make your AD admins happy and leave it out of your search string entirely).  However, I think having Grouper defer its search criteria to downstream systems is problematic for at least a couple of reasons.
  1. If you're using multiple provisioners to sync a group across multiple directories, you would have multiple objectGUID's(or their equivalent) for each directory.
  2. For each group provisioned, PSPNG would have to 1) provision the group, 2) turn around and query AD again using a different set of search criteria to get the objectGUID, most likely DN. 3) store the objectGUID in a new table alongside the group's UUID and the provisioner it's associated with. Whee!  gidNumber accomplishes the same thing without steps 2 and 3.
  3. objectGUID is scoped for the entire domain and is really intended for internal use only.
Active Directory really doesn't have an externally-facing unique identifier that's pre-populated.  Again, the closest thing I've found is gidNumber, for which Grouper generates ID index as a compatible value to use.

While it's understood that directory systems should be authoritative, it doesn't mean that upstream systems have to use their GUIDs.  In fact, directory systems should be robust enough in their schema to allow applications with sufficient access and namespace(or sub-OU) in the directory to be authoritative for the namespace given without having to resort to internal GUIDs that are frankly out-of-scope.

--
Carey Matthew