grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] example of rule to automatically add disabled date for memberships

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] example of rule to automatically add disabled date for memberships

  • From: Greg Haverkamp <>
  • To: "Hyzer, Chris" <>
  • Cc: " Mailing List" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] example of rule to automatically add disabled date for memberships
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 13:28:03 -0500

Thanks, Chris.  I think the more rules examples, the better.  :)

I just managed to muddle through the rules setup enough last week to get our first rules in place.  (8 hours on the train from Boston to Washington, D.C. had some benefits.)  I had been planning to solve a problem with the Loader (hence GRP-2027), but I ended up implementing using Rules.  We (now) give users a week's grace period after they activate their accounts before they're required to enroll in MFA.  Prior to this, we had a chicken-and-egg problem: a user couldn't login to set up MFA, because logging in required MFA.  Now, any time a user is added to our group of activated accounts, we have a rule that automatically puts them into the 7-day MFA bypass group.  We have another rule on the MFA bypass group that, on membership add, puts a 7-day expiration on their membership.  (And then there's a complement composite that removes them from the bypass group as soon as they have a token registered.)

I was all set to write some code, either to implement GRP-2027 or to do some filtering in the Loader, but finally figuring out how Rules worked prevented that.  So that was a big win.

Greg