grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] RE: RE: MAINTENANCE__enabledDisabled

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] RE: RE: MAINTENANCE__enabledDisabled

  • From: "Black, Carey M." <>
  • To: James Babb <>, "Hyzer, Chris" <>
  • Cc: " Mailing List" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] RE: RE: MAINTENANCE__enabledDisabled
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 14:46:19 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Authentication-results-original: spf=none (sender IP is ) ;
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

James,

Thanks for the data point.
I expect ( based on limited testing ) that I could likely run this much more
frequently than that for my environment. But I am also not really using this
feature yet too.

However the gap between "3 times a day" ( the default ) and "96 times a day"
(every 15 min) or even "288 times a day" (every 5 min) is fairly large.

So I thought I would ask before I jumped in the deep end on this one. :)
I really want to ultimately do these changes "every second". ( I
doubt that is wise in the current design. )
And I really want the changes to be "independent" instead of "a
single, possibly large, queue" too.

FWIW: REF: https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/GRP-1915

All,

I really don't like "batch jobs" ( in general ) so this kind of "queue"
really is not ideal. (IMHO)
For my taste (AKA: " requirements ") I would rather see a scheduled job to
run at the "enable/disable" date for the specific membership change data and
have quarts just "run the job of one" at that time.
So the system stacks up as many of those as are needed based on the
system's use of the feature(dates on memberships). And checks/corrects each
one when they are scheduled.

What I don't know is:
if those scheduled jobs are "in RAM"(Which I suspect) or stored in
the DB at this point.
Specifically I think the "running jobs" are written to the
DB, but only just before they are "started" by a loader. ( The "loader
properties" (on groups/folders?) and "loader config" data is the serialized
future schedule.)
I think the future scheduled jobs would need to be in the DB to do
what I want.
To trigger at the "specified time". AKA: At the selected
second.
And to deal with "no loaders running" and a loader finally
starts up ( What ones do I need to process?)

So my suggestion is to:
] have a "job of one" scheduled when the dates are set/changed. (and
stored the jobs in the DB as a queue/plan of future work for a loader.)
Likely two variates of jobs. One for "enableAt" and a
separate one for "disableAt". (Created based on the changing of the start/end
dates.)
] the "job of one" ( at run time) looks at the referenced membership
and decides if the membership date match expected value in the job and the
data is now (or "in the past"), then do it. ( Enable or Disable events fire
in Grouper for the membership. )
Basically
if the membership still looks like it should (based
on current date(s) in the membership then run.
If, not then some other job should have been
scheduled (before or after this on) to "do the right thing" so back off.
Or I guess if it could verify the status as "good" then quit
or correct. ( if that is knowable. Not sure it can be known. )

--
Carey Matthew