grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] MySQL storage engine

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] MySQL storage engine

  • From: Shilen Patel <>
  • To: Jeff McCullough <>, "Wessel, Keith" <>
  • Cc: " Mailing List" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] MySQL storage engine
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 00:50:06 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

It’s a general recommendation.  Here’s more information:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14517958#APIBuilding&Configuration-AnalyzingTablestoImproveQueryPerformance

Basically, it’s good to regularly collect stats on your tables to improve performance (e.g. explain plans) especially after you have a lot of changes.  (Note that in MySQL optimize means something different than analyze.)

At Duke, we mostly run Oracle and for all of our tables in all of our databases (including Grouper), we automatically do this every night because it’s easy, relatively cheap, and so we don’t have to otherwise think about it.  For other databases, it may not be as cheap so that may influence how frequently you do this.  But especially if you have performance issues and notice that this helps, it would be good to automate it as often as possible.  Or at least keep it in mind to run manually when queries start slowing down.

I’m also interested in knowing what other folks with MySQL are doing.  We can update the wiki if appropriate.

Thanks!

- Shilen