grouper-users - [grouper-users] question regarding having applications consume group UUIDs or system name

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] question regarding having applications consume group UUIDs or system name

  • From: "Hyzer, Chris" <>
  • To: " Mailing List" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] question regarding having applications consume group UUIDs or system name
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:09:07 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Jane,

Im not going to copy your email here, but basically you asked me whether applications should consume memberships using the group uuid or the group system name (which includes the path).

I think everyone who uses grouper uses the group system name (which includes path).  If anyone consumes UUID or recommends that please correct me.

Here are my reasons:

1.       There is a display name and a system name.  To change how the group displays in the UI, change the display name.  This doesn’t affect applications

2.       If you change the system name, which you shouldn’t in general, there is an alternate name which can also refer to the group.  Sort of like a symbolic link.  Even with this feature, system names generally shouldn’t be changed

3.       Yes, educate delegated users to not change the system name

4.       There is value in applications integrating with a human readable name so they know what they are using.  Otherwise I would think the wrong UUID could be used by accident.

5.       When setting up folders, try to do so in a way where wont change system names in the future J   (e.g. for org charts, don’t put hierarchy in folder structure)

Of course some apps could use uuid if they want.  But yes, its good to have institutional standards.  Is this topic covered in the grouper deployment guide?

Ok?  J

Yes we can discuss on the phone sometime if you like.

Thanks

Chris

  • [grouper-users] question regarding having applications consume group UUIDs or system name, Hyzer, Chris, 03/10/2017