grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] SQL Loader Groups Membership Persistence

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] SQL Loader Groups Membership Persistence

  • From: Dave Churchley <>
  • To: Stephen A Sazama <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] SQL Loader Groups Membership Persistence
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 08:48:25 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

This scenario bit us a few years ago. Just as you describe, new groups were created, groups with the old names were deleted and, as a result, people lost access to resources. (This was before I was working with Grouper myself so some of the details might be a bit sketchy.)

We’ve now got it set up so that new groups are created but the old groups are not deleted so, in effect, we have two groups of the same set of people, one with the old name and one with the new name. At that point the membership of the old group becomes static (the loader ignores it) so any resources relying on that group are still available to the right people initially but over time, as people should join or leave the group, the membership becomes wrong. We then need a manual process to associate the resources with the new groups instead of the old groups and manually delete the old groups when they are no longer needed.

If anyone has a better way of handling this, I’d be very interested!

Dave