grouper-users - [grouper-users] RE: Connection pooling to reduce first load time after Tomcat start

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] RE: Connection pooling to reduce first load time after Tomcat start

  • From: "Hyzer, Chris" <>
  • To: "Wessel, Keith" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] RE: Connection pooling to reduce first load time after Tomcat start
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 17:16:57 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:AKEhIxG47IXazS4lvHy4xp1GYnF86YWxBRYc798ds5kLTJ75ocqwAkXT6L1XgUPTWs2DsrQf1LqQ7vurADFIyK3CmU5BWaQEbwUCh8QSkl5oK+++Imq/EsTXaTcnFt9JTl5v8iLzG0FUHMHjew+a+SXqvnY6Uy/yPgttJ+nzBpWaz4Huj7jzqNXvZFACuzemer52aF2VoATNtoNe1Yh9J70qxx/ho39MeuJRxHguKF6OyVK0rMiq+4N7/j4Vpuks7dVoUKPmcr4+QKACSjkqLip9sMLxsgTbQBHK+2ARSH4+kxxUDhLD4Q2gGJr9r32pmPB63XzQHdzkQKpwER+i9aZwAle8jSwHJiw06knWkcc2kbpWphTnqhBild2HKLqJPeZzK/uONegRQnBMC4MID3RM
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

> Hi, Chris,

> If others have found a way around this, a patch for this isn’t

> necessary, though thanks for offering.

> I changed my hibernate.c3p0.min_size to 1 from 0, thinking that

> would have one connection at the ready.

I don’t think that is relevant here.  Its not the connection the DB it’s the initting all the object as a one-time startup task.  I like pools to go down to zero since making a connection is not that much overhead and sometimes you have stale connection issues. (at least we do sometimes with oracle and our firewalls)  If it works for you with 1, then go for it.

> And if I wait a minute

> after Tomcat start-up before connecting, that does, in fact,

> seem to get rid of the gateway timeout error from mod_proxy.

Ok, then a patch wouldn’t help

> If I adjust the mod_proxy timeout to 60 seconds as you suggest,

> that should take care of it. I do, however, notice three, not one,

> connection from my Grouper server to MySQL. Not sure where the three

> are coming from right now, but I think I’ll tinker some more. Not that

> three is hurting anything.

Lots of database calls happen on startup, some in other threads, so it uses a few database connections.  This is fine.

> Just to make sure, I’m assuming that the min pool size of 1 rather than

> 0 won’t hurt anything.

right

> Am I missing something? And this should also

> negate the need to prime the pump by hitting the URL on Tomcat start-up?

If waiting a minute does the trick, then forget about priming the pump.

Thanks