grouper-users - [grouper-users] Java API vs direct DB

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Java API vs direct DB

  • From: Suresh Marru <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Java API vs direct DB
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 10:11:11 -0400

Hi All,

We are working on creating a Authorization Api for Apache Airavata leveraging the capabilities within Grouper. After discussing with Chris and Vivek offline, looks like using Grouper Java API directly without the web services is a possibility. Before we dive into implementation can we request one more feedback.

We will need to build a higher level Java API, [1] and [2] are a thrift representations of this API. What are the pros and cons of layering this API over Grouper Java API vs direct interaction with Grouper DB.

We are mainly interested in permissions and search capability. There will be an obvious advantage of layering over Grouper Java API to leverage all the effort, but will that come at a huge cost of un-needed dependencies? If you were to develop this high level API, what would you do?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions,
Suresh

  • [grouper-users] Java API vs direct DB, Suresh Marru, 06/21/2016