grouper-users - [grouper-users] passing bash variables in grouper.properties file to grouper

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] passing bash variables in grouper.properties file to grouper

  • From: Jay Hoff <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] passing bash variables in grouper.properties file to grouper
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 14:54:51 -0400

I have a question about passing a bash variable value into Grouper. I’m
working on making the file grouper.properties free of any system specific
configuration so that it can be replicated to other Grouper nodes without the
need to configure the file for each specific system. Specifically, in
grouper.properties I have the following line:

mail.from.address =
grouper_test@$hostname.subdomain.psu.edu
(the actual FQDN for the node is used)

Which is used for mailing the daily Grouper reports.

What I would like to be able to do, is to pass the value for the bash
variable ${HOSTNAME} to Grouper. I’ve tried this:

mail.from.address =
grouper_test@${HOSTNAME}

but the ${HOSTNAME} is treated as text and the variable is not expanded.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks much,

Jay