grouper-users - [grouper-users] UTF-8 warning when upgrading a testing database

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] UTF-8 warning when upgrading a testing database

  • From: "Waldbieser, Carl" <>
  • To: Gouper Users List <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] UTF-8 warning when upgrading a testing database
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 16:01:40 -0500 (EST)

I was updating a testing database from Grouper v2.2.1 to v2.2.2. When I ran
`gsh -registry -check`, I got the warning:

Error: Cannot properly read UTF string from database: '???????', make sure
your database has UTF tables and perhaps a hibernate.connection.url in
grouper.hibernate.properties

I went through the MySQL tables and made sure to change them all to charset
utf8 with collation utf8_bin (some of the views still show the previous
collation for some reason). However, the warning persists.

Is there a particular table it is writing to to make this determination?

Thanks,
Carl Waldbieser
ITS Systems Programmer
Lafayette College