grouper-users - [grouper-users] Questions about Grouper logging

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Questions about Grouper logging

  • From: Baron Fujimoto <>
  • To: Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Questions about Grouper logging
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 18:29:08 -1000

I have some (stupid, I fear) questions about configuring Grouper's logging.

I have a directory hierarchy that looks like
grouper/
grouper-api/
grouper-ui/
grouper-ws/
logs/
grouper-api/
grouper-ui/
grouper-ws/

To facilitate troubleshooting, I'd like to be able to have each grouper
component log to their respective log dirs. E.g.:
grouper/logs/grouper-api/
grouper/logs/grouper-ui/
grouper/logs/grouper-ws/

When I ran the installer interactively, I was prompted for the location
of the grouper-ui and grouper-ws log dirs. This mostly seemed to do what
I wanted. However, the installer installs tomcat 6.35, and we're using
tomcat 8. I think after I cut the grouper apps over to run under our
tomcat 8 instance, I noticed it was no longer logging to those originally
specified log dirs.

I see there's a grouper-api/conf/log4j.properties, and a
grouper-ui/log4j.template.properties, but no log4j files under
grouper-ws. Can each component get its own log4j/properties file?
If so, do they go in their respective /conf dirs (the grouper-ui
template isn't in the conf dir, for example)?

Where is grouper.home defined? Is it the same for each component?

Aloha,
-baron
--
Baron Fujimoto