grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] JNDI Source and Paging

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] JNDI Source and Paging

  • From: "Michael R. Gettes" <>
  • To: "James R. McCartney" <>
  • Cc: "" <>, Chris Hyzer <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] JNDI Source and Paging
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 19:57:01 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

You’re making an interesting assumption about putting load on the directory.  It really depends on how your directory product works and exactly what problem you are trying to solve.  For example, most directory servers still have to fully resolve the query and then keep track of the query when handling paged searches.  There is a lot more back and forth with paged searches so it can actually be an increase in load.  if what you are wanting to do is to slurp up a search result of 50K then the server sends the data as fast as possible and the client eats as fast as it can.  Now, MS does 1000 pagesize by default - that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing.

if client and server are very close (network wise) then you may not want to do paged results for that client.

hope this helps.

/mrg