grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Error provisioning large (>300K members) group

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Error provisioning large (>300K members) group

  • From: Robert Bradley <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Error provisioning large (>300K members) group
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:53:43 +0000

On 07/03/15 18:24, Mark Cairney wrote:
> From what you and Tom are saying it's the sheer size of the operation/
> building the LDIF which is the issue which at least means that if the
> alumni group grows it shouldn't hit this issue unless it suddenly
> doubles in size as from here on in it's primarily small changes via the
> changelog consumer.
>
> Perhaps unsurprisingly the only reference to this error message I'd
> found via Googling was the function call within the JNDI
> "BerEncoder.java" file.

If that file and the following link are to be believed, there's a hard
upper limit of 16MB for LDAP adds:

http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/cyrus-sasl/2015-January/002783.html

Of course, the LDAP servers may well have lower limits than this by default.

--
Dr Robert Bradley
Identity and Access Management, IT Services, University of Oxford